Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
Hello guys,

I’ve been noticing that since I updated my iPad Pro 10.5 to iOS 11, the Apple Smart Keyboard suddenly becomes totally unresponsive. The only way I found to make it work again is rebooting the iPad which is a very annoying process. It happens sporadically but still annoying. Is anyone else experiencing that? Apple replaced my Smart Keyboard twice already.

Cheers! :)

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
I've been having constant problems with the Smart Keyboard. Almost makes me wish I stuck with a 13" MacBook Pro

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
There was a known batch of bad iPad Pro 12.9” Smart Keyboards that had shipped I guess. I purchased the Smart Keyboard with my original iPad Pro 12.9”. This year I upgraded to the latest model of the 12.9” iPad Pro and my keyboard started having troubles. At first I thought it was an issue with the new iPad. However, from searching on the web I found that Apple was aware of the issue. My keyboard would become unresponsive, and would often display “accessory not supported” messages on the iPad. Turns out Apple has extended the warranty for certain serial numbers of the Smart Keyboard and mine was affected. The coverage I guess is now three years for affected serial numbers. Mine happened to be in the bad batch and was replaced by Apple free of charge a few weeks ago.

Maybe you guys are experiencing a similar issue and should check with Apple to see if you have an affected Smart Keyboard.

Josh

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Hello guys,

I’ve been noticing that since I updated my iPad Pro 10.5 to iOS 11, the Apple Smart Keyboard suddenly becomes totally unresponsive. The only way I found to make it work again is rebooting the iPad which is a very annoying process. It happens sporadically but still annoying. Is anyone else experiencing that? Apple replaced my Smart Keyboard twice already.

My did this while on iOS 10. Worked great for about a year. Then sporadically would stop working. Eventually it completely died. I made a genius appointment and Apple replaced mine, no questions asked. The replacement they gave me must have been a refurbished or retuned, it came in a solid white box.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I think there is a problem with iOS 11. I’ve had this happen a couple of times on my 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9 and a reboot always fixes it.

Reactions: tkukoc

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
So to clarify, I've also had this happen - no keys appear when I type (unresponsive).

The workaround for me was to Cmd-Tab around, and suddenly the keys would start working, i.e. the Cmd-Tab combo works, just not the typing into a text box.

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
My did this while on iOS 10. Worked great for about a year. Then sporadically would stop working. Eventually it completely died. I made a genius appointment and Apple replaced mine, no questions asked. The replacement they gave me must have been a refurbished or retuned, it came in a solid white box.

I believe all of their replacement units come in a white box. This doesn’t mean that the device was refurbished, it’s just how Apple packages their service parts or devices.

Reactions: RevTEG

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
There was a known batch of bad iPad Pro 12.9” Smart Keyboards that had shipped I guess.

Turns out Apple has extended the warranty for certain serial numbers of the Smart Keyboard and mine was affected. The coverage I guess is now three years for affected serial numbers. Mine happened to be in the bad batch and was replaced by Apple free of charge a few weeks ago.
Do you know the batch? Is there a posted Apple support doc about this please?

I'm looking at getting a 12.9" for my 2015 but be interested as I may buy 2nd hand for the keyboard that's all and would be nice to check it first.

Thanks

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
Do you know the batch? Is there a posted Apple support doc about this please?

I'm looking at getting a 12.9" for my 2015 but be interested as I may buy 2nd hand for the keyboard that's all and would be nice to check it first.

Thanks

Google “ipad smart keyboard replacement program” and you’ll find a bunch of results from various news outlets regarding the issue. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be any mention of which serial numbers are affected or a way to check a serial number to see if it’s included. Only states late 2015 for the original 12.9” Pro and early 2016 for the 9.7” Pro. I would expect that any shipped or sold recently would be okay.

Regards,

Josh

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I am having the same issue with a 10.5 Smart Keyboard, which I have owned for about a month. Happened before and after ios11, so guessing it must be defective.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I made a Genius Bar appointment for this afternoon and can let you know what the outcome is.

I am having the same issues. I was considering making a genius bar appointment for this, but it seems I am not the only one.

Reactions: MrMister111

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
I made a Genius Bar appointment for this afternoon and can let you know what the outcome is.
Its probably going to lead with replacement, then temporarily work until it doesnt again. I think the smart keyboard needs a firmware update or a new version. Maybe theyll introduce more smart connector accesories in october or november.

iEric007

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
Orange County, California

Thanks! How did it go, if I may ask?

I am always worried the Geniuses will refuse to do anything unless they can replicate the problem and with my luck, my keyboard will work fine in front of them. .

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
They are going to replace it. They did not have any in stock, so they had to order it. Once I get it, I can post if it works more consistently now.

Thanks! How did it go, if I may ask?

I am always worried the Geniuses will refuse to do anything unless they can replicate the problem and with my luck, my keyboard will work fine in front of them. .

Lspice

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
It’s not just the apple Smart Keyboard. I have the Logitech Create, and 3 other different types of BT keyboards for my iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen and I have this same problem at least once a day since I have been on iOS 11. I was on iOS 11 developer beta from the very beginning and have been rebooting my iPad everyday to fix the problem. At first I thought it was a Bluetooth problem in the iOS beta, as there were problems with some of my other devices as well, but when the iPad wouldn’t respond to my smart connector keyboards I knew it was something else. So, replace your keyboards if you want, but I think the problem is something else.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I’ve been experiencing the problem a lot lately. It’s a shame. I didn’t mind spending the extra 150$ on this Smart Keyboard at first - it fits great, fairly comfortable to type on, but these issues are really degrading it’s value IMO. A 150$ apple keyboard should work perfectly every time.

On a related side note - anyone else frustrated that you have to select a text entry field and cannot just start typing in some apps? For example, if I pull up the calendar and touch the magnifying glass to search, you’d think that you could just start typing to search - but you cant. You have to select the text field to start typing.

Sicem93

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2017
Ft. Worth
Hello guys,

[doublepost=1508014898][/doublepost]This has been a huge issue for me on my 12.9" iPad. Three trips to the Apple Store and 4 calls to Apple Support later, they have replaced the keyboard twice and the iPad twice. I keep telling them it is a bug with iOS 11, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. The iPad replacement I just received is still on iOS 10... and the keyboard is working flawlessly. What is interesting is I also have a 10.5" iPad with Smart Keyboard and have had zero issues with it on iOS 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.