Unsafe magsafe plug - almost burned me.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Craigy, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Craigy macrumors 6502

Hi - got a 17" i7. Noticed recently that the PSU runs really really hot, but that did not worry me too much.

What does concern me is that the magsafe plug is getting almost too hot to touch - no exaggeration. And when I do remove it there is a very faint burning smell on the plug..

When it is like this, I also notice that I only have to touch or knock the plug for the light to go out - screen dim as if unplugged - and then come back on again after a couple of seconds.

I am going to take this into apple, but sometimes it take a while to get up to this temp and are concerned that it won't do the same thing at the genius bar.

Anyone else come across this?

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

My old one did exactly as yours does, I took it into Apple and got it replaced, my computer was under year 1 of my 3 year AppleCare.

3. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - couldn't imagine I'd me the only one.

Hope it hasn't effected my battery...... But I wonder if the 'Genius' will take my word for it if it doesn't do it on demand....mmmm

4. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Regarding your PSU...
    this happened to me the other night. It ran really hot then cut out (must have a built in thermistor.) Took about 30 minutes to cool down before it reset itself. I think it was because it was sitting on my sofa that night, it normally sits on my floor. Also try to stand it on end to increase the surface area.

As for the magsafe... doesn't sound right, take it back to :apple: and no, it won't work in fault mode on demand but they should take your word for it!

5. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - I'll see how it goes on Friday and let you all know. :)

6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The hot Magsafe connector is an indication of a poor connection on one or more of the connecting pins. Poor connection = resistance = heat. Get it replaced before you damage the MBP's power connector.

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

The connector should not get hot, if it does Apple will replace it. I had my old style magsafe replaced when my Macbook was out of its 3 year warranty.

8. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

my magsafe gets pretty hot whenever i play games on bootcamp. should i be concerned?

9. chanified macrumors newbie

My Magsafe clip has no metal inside but is way too hot to touch at the moment or when it is actively charging. It got so hot that it has split open the chord and is now exposing the wiring. What should I do? Will apple fix this for free as I see it as faulty and dangerous. It is seriously way too hot to touch :mad:

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You probably should have stopped using it when you noticed it gets hot. It's a fire hazard now, and should should be replaced immediately(under warranty, or by purchasing a new one).

Take it into an Apple store, or better yet, contact Applecare and ask them if they'll replace it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4127?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US