Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
It's been a long time since I installed any theme altering software, since I had a bad experience with one a long time ago (had to re-install).

ShapeShifter looks pretty good, but before I take the plunge, I'd just like to know peoples experience with it, have you had any trouble. Big problems with OS 10.3x updates etc?

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
i used it for about 5 minutes before i realized that apple went with aqua for a reason... :)
it might have caused a very slight slowdown, but nothing very noticeable to me...

you might want to wait for someone's opinions who's actually used it a lot before you download...

reality

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
i've used it "quite a bit" ;) rather, i've *tried* it quite a bit... I love the concept, and some of the themes are absolutely beautiful... however, like reality said, OS X is aqua for a reason. most of that mentality is just our fondness to tradition (i.e. the thing we see everyday) however, the interface has been so finely crafted, that after awhile, i just go back to aqua... every time.

additionally, i bet you are referring to one of the older theming programs: duality, themepark, etc. ShapeShifter has NEVER given me any problems, its a safe software utility, it's not classified as a "hack". But hey, it never hurts to do a backup beforehand, does it?

try it, but my bet is you'll want aqua back ;)

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
edesignuk said:
It's been a long time since I installed any theme altering software, since I had a bad experience with one a long time ago (had to re-install).

ShapeShifter looks pretty good, but before I take the plunge, I'd just like to know peoples experience with it, have you had any trouble. Big problems with OS 10.3x updates etc?

Some people recommend ThemeChanger as a free alternative to ShapeShifter.

I don't know if I'd really want to mess around with Aqua - it looks pretty good if you ask me.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I use ShapeShifter and find it to be vary reliable, I've never had a problem with it. Although it does cause a slight slowdown in the speed of the Finder.

If you decide to do it, stick with a theme you really like. My whole computer is oriented blue. ;)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 124

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
To the above attachment: Shinobi, kick ass!

titaniumducky said:
Some people recommend ThemeChanger as a free alternative to ShapeShifter.
A lot of the new theme packages require Shapeshifter, since the packages are in .guiKit format and ThemeChanger can't install such packages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.