Unsatisfied with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikehokie, Jun 26, 2007.

1. mikehokie macrumors regular

So I got my MacBook Pro on Monday, June 25th. I was very excited and wanted to try it out ASAP. I had pre-installed FCE and everything was working fine. The heat however is a HUGE issue as well as the lack of support for 3rd party external HDD. I have a Seagate and it takes up a USB port and guess what when I try to use it as a scratch disk for FCE or even iMovie it will not work!

I am also unsatisfied with FCE. It seemed like the DEV's just threw something together in a few hours and the interface is very confusing. I tried to hook up my DV camcorder and it would not batch capture or even detect scenes for that matter!

Seeing as I was the one to convince my parents to allow me to pay for this computer, I may be returning it and hearing a lot of "I told you so's" from them. Even though half of it is the manufacturer's problem with the terrible heat issues. When I am running one APP it should not be going all the way up to 70 degrees celcius!

Also the 160 GB HDD is just not enough. And when you open it up there is about 30 GB of useless crap on there. With a laptop that is a lot of memory.

I might just return this computer and get a Windows computer. Yeah all of you will be saying "oh Mac is better". I am sure it is with no viruses and everything, but at least I can get some reliable hardware from a company like HP or CyberPower.

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Well PCs are no better I have a pink sony with 160 g and when i first got it it had 106G left, Talk about crap.....we can trade places because i miss my mac.....

3. mikehokie thread starter macrumors regular

Sony's are even worse. They actually could blow up your house that's how bad the heating issues are!

4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Funny mine is much cooler then my macbook and the fans are super quiet...

5. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

If you are going to return it, get a Mac Pro and install windows on it for your windows purposes with Boot Camp or Parallels. Don't go back to PC.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

So you are taking it back because of an application then? Final Cut Express is not the Pro edition for a reason. Just like express versions of Cubase are a load of crap.

The Pro edition is fantastic. It seems to be FCE is too advanced for you. You are wanting something simple - use iMovie. FCE is for professionals.

There is a lot of crap you don't need on the hard drive. I'd recommend doing a clean installation of OSX and choosing what you want - just English languages and get rid of Garage Band loops that take up a lot of space.

As for the heat issues - download a Fan Control and set the fan to come on at a lower temperature. I have mine setup so the temperature never exceeds 64'C - and is usually 50 - 56'C. I can't hear the fan at all even though it is running at 3000RPM.

I am fully satisfied with my MBP.

7. mikehokie thread starter macrumors regular

Why?

Honestly Windows is not THAT bad. There are virus problems and security issues, but Norton will take care of that. I am just not used to Apple's OS and I prefer XP as a GUI. Call me crazy but that's just me and I think a lot of people agree.

Plus I think I overestimated myself when I got FCE. It is a lot more confusing than I thought and requires more of a learning curve.

I am not going to spend $1,200 for an editing program. That's just not me. I just don't have the patience to deal with such an intuitive program as FCE. iMovie is good, but I am not going to buy a $2,000 computer to run iMovie. Also the heat issues and SuperDrive issues are the main concerns.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

OMG, I am not a Windows basher, but please don't get me started by talking about Norton. I was considered a Windows power user by everyone I know, so I am somewhat familiar with the environment.

I won't bore you here with what I now prefer about OS X, but NORTON is the thing I am most happy to be rid of. It puts a Vulcan death grip on the whole system and strangles the life out of it, its tendrils extending like a metastasising cancer.

In case you can't tell, I hate Norton security products.

FWIW, FCE is a great product, and I agree with an earlier post that you may just want to use iMovie and iDVD, great products for someone who wants to make somewhat basic films and videos. It's amazing what one can do, quickly and easily and effectively, with iMovie. Good stuff. Give it a try.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Did you even format it to HFS+? OS X will support just about every external hard drive that Windows supports, just make sure it's formatted. Seagate will definitely support OS X, you're just formatting it wrong.

Lol. I think you should stick with iMovie. FCE is a professional-quality NLE. It has WAY more features than you realize just by looking at the screen when you open it. It does have a pretty steep learning curve though.

Batch capture is for loading your timecodes and **** and having FCE automatically capture your clips.

Also FCE has the feature to detect gaps and split up your clips, but this would happen after you capture. I believe you have to click some menu and click something to get it to split clips.

There is a problem with the thermal paste application and this is probably the problem. Take it to the genius bar and bitch at them until they fix it. Also, any PC laptop that you buy is probably going to have the same exact chipset/processor, so it's going to have the same heat.

Reinstall OS X to get rid of unnecessary language packs and drivers.

Consumer reports says Apple has the most reliable notebooks. And besides, you haven't said anything that's a reliability issue.

FCE and Final Cut Pro have the exact same interface and are used the exact same way. FCP has more film-based features such as Cinema Tools for telecining and ****, and you get the other apps in the studio too (Motion, Color, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro). Once again, you should really stick with iMovie and learn how to edit first. Then once you feel iMovie is limiting you, move up to FCE.

10. negatv1 macrumors 6502

There is no reason that the external drive doesn't work on your Mac.

I suppose it's easier to throw up your hands and declare your inability to use your new computer as the fault of the computer.

I'm sure if you do decide to return your Macbook Pro and replace it with a nice HP :rolleyes: , Apple will somehow manage to survive financially...

11. mikehokie thread starter macrumors regular

I have used iMovie and I have used other editing programs. I know how to edit, it's just I have only used OS X for 2 days. This was my first Apple computer. So I tried out FCE and it seemed very confusing to me as far as capturing and ****. But you're right I probably should stick to the consumer stuff.

Norton does suck balls, but I might just use this other program my cable service provider gives free as an internet security thing. It does its job and detects **** you don't want.

I am probably just going to switch back to Windows because I don't really need an Apple computer anyways and I mostly game so it probably was not a very good decision in the first place, haha.

12. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Don't switch back to Windows.
    For games just get a PS3, XBox360 or Wii.

13. superman666 macrumors regular

Honestly, any 'Final Cut' program is meant for professionals/film students. I would highly suggest not to use it if it seems like it is too hard. Imovie is probably a ton more useful for simpler projects that don't require such a powerful program. Don't be 'turned off' from using Imovie just because it is a simpler program.

BTW FCE is an amazing program. But than again I'm currently awaiting a MBP, so I guess i can't talk... But I do use FCP in my film class.

P.S. Perhaps you just got one of the computers with the sucky thermal paste. I would try returning it... And most computers come with a bunch of loaded crap on it as well. I wouldn't give up on apple just yet.

Good luck

14. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

just a quick question/suggestion

can't you re-install os x and not install those "useless" programs? that would save you some space, right?

am i right? also, what programs do u guy suggest not to install?

15. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Garageband if you aren't going to be using it. iDVD if you don't have a superdrive or don't want to use it. Also, don't install printer drivers you are not going to use. You will save a couple of GBs of space.

16. feh macrumors member

This is a good place to start (to free up space):

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

Still the main problem he's having is the HEAT. The same reason I'm passing on MBP.

Check out either a Dell M90 or Thinkpad T61p.

17. Igantius macrumors 65816

I'm not going to repeat what the others have (correctly) said on about FCE, but I will mention that just about any review or article about FCE points out that its interface is a lot more compicated than iMovie and it has a much steeper learning curve, so I'm not sure if this should have come as a big surprise.

Personally, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Find some decent tutorials or book and take your time learning it - that's half the fun.

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Don't surrender yet!

I have used computers since the dawn of the computing age and most of them in a buttoned down business environment devoid of creativity, rife with sterile function.

I’ve read this thread with great interest as I have experienced some of these issues with my daughter and her new Mac. (MacPro 2.66)

What it comes down to is the human tendency to resist change. The Mac OS is different! Even programs she is familiar with like Microsoft Word “look” different. Trying to make a movie out of her cousin’s soccer match was confusing even using the iMovie and iDVD because she had never used them before. She was frustrated and wanted to frequently boot to the second drive and use Windows. It has taken a few months but she now spends more time in OS X, using Mac-based programs.

She is only 11 and has a visual impairment but really just didn’t want to “learn the new computer”. It is the same with my staff. Every time a new version or process is implemented they delay and complain until they get used to the new way of doing things.

If the OP gives himself some time with his new tools he may come to appreciate and embrace that which is presently unfamiliar. As to the heat, I work with hundreds of laptops and most get very warm while connected to power (charging) and or running the CPU / GPU at full speed. It is the curse of wanting (and manufacturers providing) desktop performance in a portable form factor.

Even my MB CD 2.0 gets very warm, particularly on the left side rear. I just take it off my lap. I imagine my new MBP (when I get around to ordering it) will be even hotter.

OP, if at all possible, limit your time with Windows (except when you want to play those Windows only games, I enjoy them too) and you will find OS X to be one of the easiest applications you’ve ever used. Change can be challenging but the future beckons.

Who knows what the future may bring?
    The possibilities are endless
    When I look back on yesterday...
    ...I would never have imagined today

Indeed the future is but a moment away
    Full of hope and promise
    The past is but another word for experience
    Not for regret but fond memories
    The present lies between what was
    And what will be

The threshold of dreams and…
    …A joy to behold

Explore, create and enjoy your new Mac. Don’t give into to the simplicity of frustration. The effort you expend will provide dividends you not yet imagined.

Cheers,

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

20. myke323 macrumors regular

i don't see what the problem is except for maybe the heat issue; everything else does not seem like a reason to ditch the machine...

i think you want a windows box and are just trying to convince yourself it's ok to sell the mac and get one...

21. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Ah..., but the perception of value is in the wallet of the buyer. For us this is an investment that will grow with her and carry her for the next 7 years. How many cheap Windows systems or iMacs with limited upgrades might I buy in 7 years? Regardless of our reasons, we perceive the MacPro to be a valuable addition to our technology base. For this reason alone we see no waste.

Not that the perception of others was ever a concern.

The point of this thread was and remains the importance of giving that which is new and unfamiliar a chance to touch our lives in a positive way before turning away in anger or frustration.

Cheers,

22. mikehokie thread starter macrumors regular

Damn you mac whores, lol

But yes I discovered a new problem. The MBP ate my FCE disc...literally. I put in the DVD tutorial and after it was finished attempted to pull it out. After a loud clanking noise the disk came out with OBVIOUS scratches and blemishes that were not there before. I really am NOT a fan of that slot loading superdrive. Honestly I am too damn lazy to push the disk in, lol.

But anyways got the refund and I am switching back to Windows :eek: . I will continue to post in the MacRumors forum to warn users about the MBP thermal paste and superdrive issues but that is about it. My 24 hours on OS 10 were interesting to say the least. I had never worked with those kinds of programs before nor had that much user friendliness. But I guess it was too friendly for me.

I will be switching back to my Dimension 8400 and 512 MB of RAM. Quite a downgrade I know. But w/e, computers aren't life and I hope that is one thing all of you take from the battle of Macs vs. PC's.

There are other things in life besides your frontside bus speed and uber pwnage graphix cardz withz SLI n00bzz!

Good night and Good luck

23. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

At least install Linux on your PC and Linux will be still be better to use (in most areas) than windows.

24. mikehokie thread starter macrumors regular

meh I really don't care

I'm used to windows so that's what I am going to use

25. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

What Windows are you running? XP or Vista. I think you are going to regret switching to windows from the Mac.
    I think you should really switch back to the mac. Give Apple another chance.