Unsecured line

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by DerekRod, Feb 1, 2012.

1. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Hmm I just saw that iOS 5 can detect unsecured lines is that a feature you turn on or will it always show it when it detects it?And does AT&T encrypt calls?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

AT&T uses the standard GMS encryption on all of its calls. This feature is turned on by default in iOS 5. The only time you will likely see it is if you are on a tower that hasn't been upgraded in a long time. These towers are usually in rural areas that don't handle much traffic.

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

What is a secured line, and how do you know if you are on one or not?

4. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

I believe its one thats encrypted after some research I see that if your phone is on a fake tower called an IMSI tower the phone will warn you google showed me lots of stuff didnt realize they encrypted calls cool to know

5. MaxMichael macrumors member

It just happens by default. Before the cell-towers in my area got upgraded I had an M-Cell and I got the unsecured message as a pop-up during a call once when they were building the tower and my phone kept switching between that and my M-Cell.

6. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Ahh okay so NYC shouldnt have this issue unless I happen to be in the range of an IMSI catcher