Unsecured WiFi A-ok?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by socrates key, Apr 1, 2012.

1. socrates key macrumors newbie

socrates key

If one has no neighbors and lives in the woods thousands of feet from the road is there any point in securing wifi?

2. kot macrumors regular

The only reason to secure a wi-fi network is to keep unwanted clients out. If you live far from civilization, what's the point?
    Although I can ask another question, what's the point of leaving it unsecured?

3. socrates key thread starter macrumors newbie

socrates key

Only reason I have to leave it open is for the convenience when people are visiting with devices that need wifi. I guess the underlying question i have is, other then keeping people off my IP is there any security risks from non-local sources? It is my understanding that the router provides a sufficient filter from the internet and my home devices that connect to wifi.

4. theheyes macrumors regular

You should secure it in my opinion. It's analogous to leaving your doors open as not to inconvenience any visitors with having to knock or ring the doorbell.

People expect to have to enter a password, it's normal. It's not a good enough reason to leave it open.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

A password only matters if others can get to it in the first place. In this case, it's probably not necessary, since no one will be getting to the range where the signal reaches. If the OP would rather have the convenience of not having a password, it shouldn't be a significant security risk.

jW