Unsigned types in C

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by mac2x, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mac2x macrumors 65816

I have a bug in a program (no it is not an assignment; I am working on my own this term) that uses unsigned ints.

Without going into the gory details (it's a large program), I need to take the factorial of an expression n - r. Of course, I want to test to be sure that I don't feed my factorial function a negative.

Code:
    if ( n - r > 0 )
    {...}
    Both n and r are of type unsigned long int.

According the Harbison and Steele (5th edition):

In my program, the problem happens when n is less than r, say 3 an 5 respectively. This means that the difference n - r is negative, and by the above is converted to an unsigned integer, which results in my factorial function being sent an enormous number which invariably crashes the program. Am I thinking correctly here?

I do not wish to be given the solution to this bug; I merely want to know if I am on the right track in finding it.

Xcode project is attached.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. kpua macrumors 6502

I suspect you're on the right track here. If n is greater than r, then n-r will wrap around to very large integer values.

I won't give you the solution straight out, but can you think of a mathematical equivalent to the relation (n - r > 0) that doesn't subtraction and is therefore immune from the integer underflow error?

3. mac2x thread starter macrumors 65816

Indeed I can!

Code:
    if (n > r)
    {...}
    The test fails if n = 3 and r = 5, and the function is not called. This is exactly what I wanted. Thanks again!

4. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

It may not be important for your program, but don't forget mathematically, 0! = 1, too.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Which raises an odd question (the kind only I would come up with). In Standard Apple Numerics Environment ("SANE", in Classic Mac OS) they note that a number has 3 important components: the mantissa (numeric value), the characteristic (exponent) and the sign. Because of this, you could have a number equal to negative zero. What I am unsure of is whether ( 0 == -0 ) could be counted on to return true or false.

6. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

This sounds like IEEE-754 floating point, or similar. This is for floating point estimation in binary. Integers can be represented exactly in binary. In IEEE-754 zero and negative zero are not equal bit patterns (so a memcmp would call them different), but == should say they're the same.

-Lee