Unsolicited Spam on Home screen

MarioChristo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Sitting on the train, my iPhone 5 buzzed with a message informing that I've won 2m pounds (screenshot attached). I'm just wondering how someone was able to spam my iphone and have an unsolicited message appear on my lock screen and I'm particularly worried about what this means for all my other personal information on my phone.

I thought that Apps are vetted. If it is a trojan App then which one is it, and how can fix this security breach?

I should add that my wife has the same phone as I and she got the same message.

My phone has not been jail broken. All the apps have been purchased via the official Apple App Store.

Apologies if this is sounding naive but I've never heard of this happening. Has anyone experienced this or can someone tell me what to do.

For the record, my phone is running version 6.1.4 (10B350). The model number is MD300X/A.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mario

Attachments

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
It looks like the dialogue that appears when browsing through programs stored on the SIM card.

No other clue though.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Don't worry, you (probably) haven't been hacked. That's called a Flash SMS and it's quite easy to send from any mobile phone. Just Google 'Flash SMS'

MarioChristo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks the responses

I have to say it's hardly reassuring. Why is my carrier (Telstra in Australia) allowing Spam to be sent to my phone.

But thanks for the help. If there's any way to stop it please let me know.

Cheers,

Mario

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Thanks the responses

I have to say it's hardly reassuring. Why is my carrier (Telstra in Australia) allowing Spam to be sent to my phone.

But thanks for the help. If there's any way to stop it please let me know.

Cheers,

Mario
Really, you're on Telstra and you received that? I'm on Optus and haven't received any of those messages thankfully.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I sent an email to that address with your winning claim number. The are sending the money!! All I had to do was give them my credit card info to cover taxes, handling and a few other fees. Thanks!!!