Unsolicited Spam on Home screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarioChristo, Jun 18, 2013.

1. MarioChristo macrumors newbie

Sitting on the train, my iPhone 5 buzzed with a message informing that I've won 2m pounds (screenshot attached). I'm just wondering how someone was able to spam my iphone and have an unsolicited message appear on my lock screen and I'm particularly worried about what this means for all my other personal information on my phone.

I thought that Apps are vetted. If it is a trojan App then which one is it, and how can fix this security breach?

I should add that my wife has the same phone as I and she got the same message.

My phone has not been jail broken. All the apps have been purchased via the official Apple App Store.

Apologies if this is sounding naive but I've never heard of this happening. Has anyone experienced this or can someone tell me what to do.

For the record, my phone is running version 6.1.4 (10B350). The model number is MD300X/A.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mario

Attached Files:

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It looks like the dialogue that appears when browsing through programs stored on the SIM card.

No other clue though.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Definitely think it's something from your carrier, never had something like this

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Don't worry, you (probably) haven't been hacked. That's called a Flash SMS and it's quite easy to send from any mobile phone. Just Google 'Flash SMS'

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Back in the day I'd say Blujacking, these days it's definitely carrier spam.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

this is a common SMS scam. don't reply and just ignore it.

7. MarioChristo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks the responses

I have to say it's hardly reassuring. Why is my carrier (Telstra in Australia) allowing Spam to be sent to my phone.

But thanks for the help. If there's any way to stop it please let me know.

Cheers,

Mario

8. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

9. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

Really, you're on Telstra and you received that? I'm on Optus and haven't received any of those messages thankfully.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I sent an email to that address with your winning claim number. The are sending the money!! All I had to do was give them my credit card info to cover taxes, handling and a few other fees. Thanks!!!