Unstable disk permissions in lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Suncusser, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Suncusser macrumors member

I have an original MBA and a iMac 27 inch desktop. Both have been unstable since installing Lion. I have to repair disk permissions on a daily basis (less frequently on iMac) when files won't open, or trash won't empty or my trackpad will no longer enlarge the picture on the screen (or other misbehaviors). It fixes the problem but its very annoying and time consuming. Even after repairing disk permissions a few hours before, there are usually about 20 or thirty lines of repaired permissions each time I run the utility. I recall that 10.3 had problems that required frequent permission repairs but not to this extent. I did a quick search of the forum but didn't pull up anybody else with this complaint but I didn't go through all 16 pages of forum topics, so I could have missed it. Any suggestions as to what is going on? Will 10.7.2 fix this?

2. Kanunu macrumors 6502

Worse with 10.7.2

I was OK with Lion until immediately after installing 10.7.2 I experienced frequent lockups and was unable to access the force quit menu either. Like the OP I found that running repair permissions worked for a while, usually about a day, before I locked up again. Lockups were usually triggered by simple drop-down menu operations.

I too have a long list of at least 30 repairs. Out of curiosity, I ran the permission repair twice back to back and the second time had a long list too. Does this mean the repairs were ineffective? There is no save function in the log window but I could save a copy by copy>paste if anyone out there thinks it would help.

I was ready to live with Lion;s slowness and other negatives but this is too much.