Unsuccessful Drive Clone

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SPCW!, Oct 21, 2014.

1. SPCW!, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

SPCW! macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm working on a 2007 Macbook Pro. It came with a 120GB Fujitsu hard drive. Today I bought a 250GB Samsung SSD intending to replace the original drive.

I installed the Samsung and attached the original hard drive via USB, and booted to the original hard drive now connected via USB.

From there, using Disk Utility > Restore, I cloned the original volume to the newly installed SSD. That process completed with no errors, however I did note that the figures shown in Disk Utility for "Used Space", "Folders" and "Files" were close but not exact for both drives. I wasn't sure if that would be considered normal, I expected those numbers to be identical for both drives.

I then restarted and attempted to boot to the internal SSD, and I got the prohibitory circle with a slash sign on the grey screen. A Safe Boot did the same.

Running Disk Utility from the original drive, I ran a Verify on the new SSD which showed many folders with missing ACL information. I ran a Repair, rebooted to the new SSD, but same result. I also reset the PRAM with no change.

Any suggestions? I'm out of ideas. I can always put the original drive back in and be back where I started.

2. SPCW! thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved: I failed to partition the new drive correctly, selecting the GUID Partition option. I simply cloned the existing drive's partition to the new drive and that won't work. After partitioning the new drive correctly, and then cloning the existing partition, it started right up. I configured TRIM first thing.

It's running great! I put a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB drive in and the difference in access speed is easy to see. Plus it does not get hot like it did with the Fujitsu and the fans hardly run at all, whereas before they ran wide open all the time. Should have done this a long time ago.