'Unsuccessful order' email from Apple

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shellbryson, Mar 12, 2012.

1. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Got a very odd email from Apple this morning claiming that 'an order' was unsuccessful - however it's not an order-number I recognise. It doesn't match the number of anything I've ordered from Apple.

A quick call to my credit card company and got confirmation that payment for iPad was authorised but waiting for retailer to 'collect payment'. The iPad I ordered was shipped via TNT and still shows for delivery on the 16th. There's no record of this *other* order number in my Apple Store account.

Very mysterious.

Of course, I tried calling Apple, but they are completely overwhelmed - not able to get through.

2. Kris00 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was just about to make a thread about it.
    I received the same email about half an hour ago and tried to look up the order number on apples website but it's invalid, aswell as being completely different to my iPad one.
    Here's hoping its a random error, I'll be gutted if it turns out they've cancelled my iPad order :S
    No luck through apples automated system either so who knows what's going on..

3. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Could be a phishing attempt - especially if the mail mentions something about needing to update your account for the order to get through, with a link to get to account update.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Probably scam mail. I've noted similar emails from Amazon in my junk mail box lately. Easy pickings time sending out fake Apple Store emails right now unfortunately. Good for you that you were so astute, but unfortunately many others will get knifed.

5. Kris00 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Here's the email if anyone is wondering..
    Dear Apple Customer,
    Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store online.
    Unfortunately your attempt to place an Order with us has been unsuccessful.
    Your credit card has been authorised and we are in the process of reversing this authorisation. Please contact your bank directly to confirm when the authorization will be cancelled.
    If you would like to place an order with us please call one of our Sales Representatives on 0845 600 1683 who will be more than happy to facilitate this for you.
    Kind regards,
    Apple Online Store

6. Nyborg macrumors newbie

Hmmm I got one too but don't think it is phishing as not asking for any info. Clicking on 'Order Status' took me straight to my order page (displaying iPad order as shipped) because I was already logged in to Apple on my browser.

Order number is totally new like others here. Hoping it is all a big nasty mistake.

7. Kris00 macrumors newbie

Huh? Lol

8. Funurgle macrumors newbie

I called Apple to confirm what was going on; they said that quite a few people have received these... When I quoted the ref on the email I was told that it wasn't recognised by them, however my 'real' order had definitely gone through and was OK.

She asked for me to forward a copy of it to her. I asked if it was a phishing scam, and was told 'I can't respond to that question I'm afraid'...!

It's just weird though because all the links re-direct to the correct Apple sites, without going via some other URL where cookies could be made/grabbed...

Maybe it's just some merry prankster trying to freak out us obsessives!

9. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

10. vitaminz macrumors member

Guys, did you all have issues preordering the new iPad? My card was authorised twice, and only one order went through - which I'm guessing is what that email relates to, as I had the email too.

11. Funurgle macrumors newbie

do_not_reply_con_en@euro.apple.com

I had problems ordering for ages, but my card was only authorised once. Also, I was told by the Apple rep that emails actually from them should always have the customer name at the top - not Dear Apple Customer.

12. shellbryson thread starter macrumors 6502

shellbryson

13. matttye macrumors 601

If that's a genuine email from Apple, they should be using the customers name after the word "dear."

Using generic phrases like "Dear customer" is a scam used by phishers all the time!

14. Chriscz macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wonder if there all the same false order number?

15. shellbryson thread starter macrumors 6502

shellbryson

16. Kris00 macrumors newbie

Ending in 4086

17. shellbryson thread starter macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Perhaps this is just some artefact of repeated failure in the ordering process on launch day. I must have tried 30 times, often getting as far as the payment taking stage before getting the "oops" message. I suppose those of us who did this should just be thankful that we've not been billed 30 times :D

18. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

As a previous poster said "Dear Apple Customer" is a dead giveaway that its a phishing e-mail. Secondly the word 'Order' in the second sentence shouldn't be capitalised.

Finally, that's a UK telephone number in the e-mail body but the it uses the American spelling of 'authorization.'

19. Rafterman macrumors 68020

Normally, I would agree with you, but the email contents posted by Kris00 don't ask you to click on a link, but to check with your bank directly. They also give you a phone number to call (most scammers don't use phone numbers).

It seems only Euro customers are reporting this? It could be a foul-up by the ordering system.

20. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

@euro.apple.com is an official apple address as far as i can tell.

although all my apple store emails have come from @orders.apple.com

the phone number is a real Apple Customer Service number.

so did you make multiple attempts to preorder the iPad that hit error pages?

21. Rafterman macrumors 68020

The phone number is Kris00's email is Apple's apparently.

22. Kris00 macrumors newbie

Ye I did try about 15 times :3 haha

23. shellbryson thread starter macrumors 6502

shellbryson

I would agree, but the links within the email and the various Apple brand images all come from Apple servers. Not quite sure what a phish would achieve if this is one.

24. RelentlessFruit macrumors newbie

Spoke to Apple about this also - they weren't sure why I'd received it but did say it must have been an error om their part.

As has been stated, it doesn't have the feel of a phishing scam as there doesn't appear to be anyway for you to give your details to anyone except Apple themselves - :p