Unsupported Mac or osx version

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dubstep492, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Dubstep492 macrumors newbie

Hi there, I'm new here so please cut me some slack :p
    I bought a macbook 1,1 yesterday, upgraded the Ram to the maximum 2GB allocation and upgraded the hard drive to 500GB. Before anyone says "Just upgrade" I'm pretty broke so this was my only current option. I updated to 10.6.8 got myself setup, my purpose of getting a Macbook is for my music college where we use Reason and Logic, so when I went to install Logic Pro X, it told me my osx version wasn't high enough, it has also been telling me this for multiple applications along with "This mac is no longer supported." I then tried to update to mavericks but because it isn't a core 2 duo only a core duo. So I attempted to use SFOTT to change the boot.efi to install maverick on my macbook, but I got a folder with a flashing question mark inside when trying to boot of my usb. What I'm trying to ask is, is there anyway of tricking my macbook into thinking it's a core 2 duo or thinking it's at a higher osx version to run the applications I need.
    Thanks in advance
    Curtis

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because that machine does not have a 64-bit CPU, you cannot run anything higher that Mac OS 10.6.8 on it.

3. Dubstep492 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it's not just that the app vendors are being picky and there's no way to change it, it is literally is not able to run on this machine?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You are correct. There just isn't any way to get that machine to run a 64-bit program.

5. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Core Duo was only 32bit. You're stuck on 10.6.8 and whatever software still runs on it. When buying an 06 Macbook I would have done a tad more research to ensure that all my required software would run. I would try to sell it and break even and save your pennies until you can get a Core 2 machine. They aren't a whole lot more expensive.

6. dpeoplvided macrumors newbie

You are correct. There just isn't any way to get that machine to run a 64-bit program.[​IMG]

7. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

I bought a mid-2009 macbook on amazon last year, it was $240 with shipping and it is what I am currently using. I am using Mavericks which I think will be the highest it can handle.

This machine has worked great for being almost 5 years old, I upgraded the RAM to 4GBs and bought a new charger for it, now it is giving me the "replace now" for the battery so I just keep it plugged in.

I would look into one like this if you can afford the $240 for it.

8. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I bought an Early 2009 MacBook myself earlier this year. It came bone stock with Leopard on it but I put in 4GB of 800MHz DDR2 I had from a dead HP, then bought a cheap 128GB SSD off Newegg and installed Yosemite to see how it would handle. The result is pretty impressive. It'll boot to the desktop in about 15 seconds ready to go thanks to the SSD and it running at SATA II. It gets close to 300 MB/s which is its cap.

My battery has some ridiculous cycle count, but it's still holding up. Serial number shows it was replaced sometime in 2012.

You should be able to get a few more years out of it no problem.

I'm still impressed with our Mid 2007 iMac, it's even getting Yosemite and it's 7 years old :eek:

To the OP, you could try to sell your MB 1,1 and grab a 2009 model or so and be able to run the latest apps. Or you could try and find older versions compatible with Snow Leopard and are 32bit.

Logic Pro 9 comes to mind, and Reason 6 will also work. Buy they will be different than what you're learning on at school.

9. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

Yeah I have a (i think) 2008 Imac my wife uses along with her new macbook for work (only reason I know its 08 is because we bought it brand new and I had just came back from overseas around that time)...only thing I have had to do to it is get more RAM, and we have a Time Machine for back up...