Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Hi everyone! A friend of mine is embarking on a very special (and mostly crazy, but he knows that) event in June.

There are very few lists/forums that I'm a member of these days (very busy), and I know and respect the community that is MacRumors... hence why I'm up on my soapbox here, talking about something that has nothing to do with Apple, but is much, much more important a topic: diabetes.

Here is what my friend Chris has to say about it:

"The purpose of this site is to record my progress towards breaking the record for an unsupported, solo bicycle crossing of Canada, hoping to draw attention to what diabetics are capable of, but also to promote a healthy, active lifestyle among diabetics and non-diabetics alike."

I have just completed giving his site a facelift, and enabled him to post from remote locations while he is on his trip. There is a Blog chronicling his first trip (started on Friday, May 12th, 2006) to test his gear and train for the big trip scheduled for June.

His site has photo galleries, stories, a bio and sponsorship information. The URL is http://www.diabeticadventurer.com - please have a look! I feel very privileged to be working with him, and hope he gets the support he deserves!

Thanks for your time! :cool:

Chris.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I was so afraid this was going to be about raising money for "medical research", but thankfully your friend is trying to show the real way to fight diabetes: proper diet and lots of exercise. More and more people in North America are getting diabetes (especially children, frighteningly enough) because we eat and drink too much sugar and don't get any exercise. I hope people will soon open their eyes to this epedemic and change their lifestyles accordingly.
That said, I found an amusing line in your friend's blog:
Packed things up and went to the Tim Horton's across from the (pay) campground to take the edge off.
Is Tim Horton's the best place for a guy trying to fight diabetes to go to "take the edge off?" Too funny... That place is probably responsible for many of the cases of diabetes in Canada...
P.S. The site looks great. Good job!

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Stampyhead said:
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I was so afraid this was going to be about raising money for "medical research", but thankfully your friend is trying to show the real way to fight diabetes: proper diet and lots of exercise. More and more people in North America are getting diabetes (especially children, frighteningly enough) because we eat and drink too much sugar and don't get any exercise. I hope people will soon open their eyes to this epedemic and change their lifestyles accordingly.
That said, I found an amusing line in your friend's blog:

Is Tim Horton's the best place for a guy trying to fight diabetes to go to "take the edge off?" Too funny... That place is probably responsible for many of the cases of diabetes in Canada...
P.S. The site looks great. Good job!

I think it goes far far beyond what place is better to eat at over some other place. Also, I believe he was talking about a coffee, not 22 Timbits or a "Gretzky" (a coffee with 9 creams and 9 sugars).

<shrugs> I guess simply put - unsupported means relying off of local amenities to (marginally) sustain his nutrition, and it's quite possible that in the middle of Saskatchewan that's all that was available.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Codemonkey said:
I think it goes far far beyond what place is better to eat at over some other place. Also, I believe he was talking about a coffee, not 22 Timbits or a "Gretzky" (a coffee with 9 creams and 9 sugars).

<shrugs> I guess simply put - unsupported means relying off of local amenities to (marginally) sustain his nutrition, and it's quite possible that in the middle of Saskatchewan that's all that was available.
I'm sure that's true, I was making a joke more than anything else. Sorry if I offended you.
I wish your friend luck and I will be following his progress across Canada on his website.

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Stampyhead said:
I'm sure that's true, I was making a joke more than anything else. Sorry if I offended you.
I wish your friend luck and I will be following his progress across Canada on his website.

No offence taken! Even if you are joking, I guess I felt that your point should be addressed (also note that he's eating double cheeseburger meals with extra salt on his fries)...

And, to be honest, I'm quite proud to be a part of what he's doing - I get to live vicariously through what he's doing... kinda lame, but true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.