Unsure if I need to install carrier update

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by martuk, Nov 4, 2009.

1. martuk macrumors newbie

Need some advise please. I have a factory unlocked 3GS which I am using on Orange UK, tonight when I connected to iTunes it offered me an update to the carrier settings.I never had this when using my unlocked 3G. I'm wondering if it is something to do with Orange officially getting the iPhone in a couple of weeks and that I am using it on Orange. But my main concern is will installing this update lock the phone to Orange?

2. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

If it's factory unlocked, it's unlocked forever. But be sure it's factory. Unlocked. The carrier settings have never affected any of my previous JB's.

3. martuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm concerned because people are saying it will allow a carrier update depending what sim is inserted, O2 or Orange, and locks it to this network. Why would I need a carrier update if not to lock it to a network. It is factory unlocked with no jailbreak etc

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

If everything's working OK, I wouldn't bother with the update. Certainly on O2 phones it locks the phone to Orange and denies access to the O2 SIM, by all accounts here.