Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reeveah

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Hi,

A little history here, was on the SSD and recently installed the old toshiba (the default HDD) into my 2010 MacBook Pro (found better usage on the SSD so decided to remove it)

Apparently I have forgotten the password to my User Account and decided to perform a 'reformat' via Disk Utility. I did it via a USB with El Capitan installed.

It has always been fine for me (did the above for 2-3 times for the old MacBooks before giving them away). However, this time, I am repeatedly met with this screen:

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Thanks!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
When does this message appear, when you boot into the thumb drive or when you are actually booting into the system? Can you access recovery (command–R)?

reeveah

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
When does this message appear, when you boot into the thumb drive or when you are actually booting into the system? Can you access recovery (command–R)?

Hi! Yes.. Booting into the system.

And yes, via recovery mode, format the HDD, booting into the system via USB El Cap, and repeatedly, it boots (like a loop) into this screen. :(

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Why are you using the thumb drive if you can boot into recovery mode? Just boot into recovery mode by holding down command-r and install the OS from there.

reeveah

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Why are you using the thumb drive if you can boot into recovery mode? Just boot into recovery mode by holding down command-r and install the OS from there.

Hmm maybe i wasnt clear enough.

Recovery mode - install El Cap via Internet - met with that screen too

So, i thought by making USB El Cap, I should be good to go.. But, no..

reeveah

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Sounds to me like you have a hardware problem.

But it was still fine as of last week.

I merely forgotten the password to Mac account.

I have tried inserting the Snow Leopard disc and still, am met with the same screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.