Unsure of whether or not to get it

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nyi28nhl, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Nyi28nhl macrumors newbie

I'm trying to justify the $400+ purchase of a 32 GB iPod Touch, and looking for some help doing so.

Just for a little background, my current iPod is video classic version 5th Generation, bought in the March of 2006. It's about 2.5 years old, still works fine despite a few scratches to the screen. In my iTunes Library I have about 20 GB of music, and am always adding to it. Basically, I'd need the 32 GB if I were to get it.

For those who have it, how well does it work? I'm sure the music playing is roughly the same. Does the screen get smudged or dirty from continually touching it?

How is the Wi-Fi? Does it easily connect to a network, or is it a pain in the butt and a frustrating process?

How is the battery? I know Apple says it runs 36 hours on audio, 6 hours on video.. but what is your experience with it? If you play around with it, does the battery die quickly? If I'm not home for 7-10 hours (not watching videos on it, but not leaving it alone while playing music either) is it going to die on me before I get on the subway back?

What are your experiences with apps? Useful thing, or just a feature I might never use? Any cool ones that would interest a 19 year old college student in Manhattan with a big interest in sports?

Finally, on a different note.. what's the best case for it? I'm sort of paranoid about getting it, and then get scratches/smudges all over the screen right away. Keep in mind that I don't have a lot of $$ to shell out for a case as a college student.

Also, where's the best place to get it? Any place I could get a better deal than through Apple? Even if I have to wait a few extra days for it I'll gladly save the money.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Get it. It is like the first iPhone, which I got and then hacked to use as an iPod Touch. It's now officially worth getting, but if I were you I'd get the 16Gb, unless you are going to be on long trips without your computer around.

On a 16GB, you can fit many times more content than it can play on one charge, and unless you have an A/C adapter, you'll be hooking it up to your computer to charge anyways, and you can swap out the content then.

If you've got the money to blow, go for the 32GB I guess...

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Only you can decide this.

All we can do it answer your questions.

Personally, I have a 1st gen 32GB Touch. Love it. :)

Works fine. Love the apps.

Sound wise, yes.

Interface wise, different. Personally I like the Touch interface better.

Yes, but it is easy to clean.

Piece of cake -- at least that has been my experience with WEP and open WiFi networks.

Not sure as I don't time it.

I do commute to Tokyo once in a while. Train trip is 2 hours each way.

The battery is tired when I get back after watching video, listening to music, playing a few games or using an app or two while listening to music. I do about an hours worth of WiFi at the location I commute to.

Just get one of these if you are worried: Backup Battery for iPhone/iPod.

Many useful apps are available.

Not sure of ones that will meet your demographics. Suggest you take a look at the app store to see if there are any.

I go case less for the most part.

I do have a rubberized one that covers the back and sides. But usually I just carry it in my pocket.

Personally, I am not too worried if it gets scratched.

If you are in Manhattan, I think that I would purchase from the Apple store.

Of course you could always check out the mail order places.

4. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

Just get it. Believe me, you won't be sorry. The iPod Touch is one sweet piece of technology. I have the first generation 32 GB model, and my daughter just got the new 32 GB Touch. Both work flawlessly. We both bought ours from the online Apple Store, and I have the Power Support Crystal Film set on mine with the Contour Showcase. I have been very happy with the protection they give. You might have to wait a while for new cases to come out that will fit the second generation Touch. I have heard that some will be available later this month. In the meantime, you could get one of the Power Support sets (crystal or anti-glare) to protect the front and back of the Touch. Good luck!

5. Nyi28nhl thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I'm definitely getting it.

Can someone tell me exactly what comes in the box with it?

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

youtube.

There are like 10 unboxing videos.

Or you can google, to get numerous results.. :rolleyes:

Or you can go to apple.com and look what is included.