Unsure on TB Display for my MB Air...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aneres11, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Aneres11 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys.

I recently purchased a new MacBook Air 11" - which I am absolutely loving.

The idea was to buy a TB screen and use it along with the Ait as a desktop setup.
    Now, I deliberated between a TBD and a base 21.5" iMac as the price is literally the same once I have bought the keyboard and mouse and CD drive seperately for the display. In fact, it makes it more expensive than the iMac.

However, the last couple of days I have been reading a few posts and can see that some people are not happy with their TBD - heat issues, fan issues, connection issues etc.

I have tried to look for more information on the display but it appears to be limited.
    What I want to do is be able to connect my Air, close the lid, wake the display and away I go.
    Is it that easy or not as simple as it is made out?

One question I do have is if I have 3 programs running at once - so for instance lets say Firefox, iTunes and Mail - and I have all 3 showing in small squares that fill the TBD, when I unplug my Air (with them all open), will the Air show the programs in the same way - just on the smaller screen?

Sorry to ask some random questions, I just wanna be sure I am getting value for my money with this display or whether any of you think that a base entry iMac to compliment my Air would be better seeing as how it will ultimately be cheaper.

Any help would be great!

Thanks guys.

2. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Whitley Bay, North East UK (God's Country)
    I got mine at launch and have no regrets at all, i do have an older iMac as well which the kids now use.
    This thing is just so easy to hook up when i want to do work which requires the bigger screen, usually my CAD work. Its then great when i want to take the air on the move around the house or outside.

Everything works great, when you disconnect all my applications resize to the smaller screen no problem.
    The fan does kick in now and again but no major problems. As you will see in my setup below i have the mac in clamshell mode.

I just hit button on keyboard and I'm good to go. I know its tempting to get an iMac but this gives you so much flexibility, get one I'm sure you won't regret it, its a fantastic display
    [​IMG]

3. Aneres11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the response. And you're in the UK too :D

Yeah to be honest I dont really want an iMac - but it just seemed like for the price of the display I may as well get a second computer. Problem is, it would just make one redundant and I don't fancy that!

The TBD certainly looks fantastic and I know it has been given very good reviews from lots of tech websites. It is everything I need to compliment my Air and give me a desktop set up. More USB ports - Ethernet - Firewire - and it's a quality display for all my downloaded HD movies!

I do want one - and was convinced of picking one up in the next few weeks, but then some negative comments around it on here left me not wanting to commit to such a large amount if I was going to be disappointed.

But your picture and comments have helped so thank you.
    ;)

4. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Hi mate, i know what you are saying here as i sort of went through the same thoughts.
    Had a 2-3 year old iMac that i thought of replacing but knew if i got another iMac then it would probably not be used much as i love using the air.

I know the TB display is a lot of cash but it really gives you the best of both worlds i feel, desktop and mobile solution and as you say with all the expansion ports its a great option.

The quality for photographs and movies is fantastic.

I tend to not read into too many reviews to be honest as there will always be different setups that suit different peoples needs. The problem is once someone works out that this setup does not work for them you get negative reviews

you need to try one out yourself. I presume you would get some time to decide if its not for you and return to Apple if this was the case.

hope this helps
    neil

5. Aneres11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks again Neil you have been a big help.

I think you are right in saying I need to try one out myself. I was in the Apple store today (passing visit as was at the Trafford Centre) and had a good look at the display. Some people in their getting confused as it was hooked to a Mac Mini, and they presumed the price was for the whole set up. :confused::rolleyes:

Anyway it is a beautiful display and I think I will stick to my original instinct and go for one. Just waiting for the arrival of my new desk chair (currently don't have one) so once that's here it's off to buy! :D

Will be sure to post pics of my setup and comments / thoughts.

Cheers.
    Mark

6. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Ok Mark no problems, look forward to seeing your setup.

Manchester?? hope you are not on the red side??

Im a toon black and white through and through

Cheers
    neil

7. Aneres11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, I'm on no side - tennis is my sport!
    My username kinda gives it away but isn't that obvious. Aneres backwards ;)

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

If you want the windows to stay in the same way but smaller, theres an application called Stay, 30 day trial then buy it for about £11 after conversion, will restore your windows to a pre-defined location whenever you change display etc, won't work if you're constantly changing window size etc, but works well for me, keeping my browser, email, twitter etc all in the right place.

And if I could have afforded a TBD, I would have!

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

people often right reviews if they have issues on these forums. More times than not people post things because they need an issue resolved or they are complaining. Reviews other than forums are normally better. I think they are both good options. Think which better suits you. Honestly you could get them both and then return either one within the 14 days.

10. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I have the TBD hooked up to my MBA. Great monitor and love the functionality. The only downside is the fan constantly is running louder than the 2k rpm. I believe it's due to the power it takes to run a monitor like that. The MBA can run it, just louder than I would like it too. I'm not sure if an iMac or MBP can handle it better since their internal specs are better. But if you don't mind the louder fan noise, then the TBD might be worth it to you.

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The big disadvantage I see with the iMac is that it can only be a display for the MacBook Air.

The Thunderbolt Display was designed, in part, to be a docking station for the Air and give it access to more USB ports as well as FireWire, Thunderbolt and wired Ethernet.

12. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Stay is a good program if your using the TBD. Nice way to keep your windows organized. Is there something similar to compare to Stay?