Unsure which MBP I should buy. Need YOUR help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NecroxGlake, Mar 13, 2013.

1. NecroxGlake macrumors newbie

So I posted a thread about this on another topic board on this site, however I think it was not the proper board so I am going to get it closed shortly. However, I am looking for as many suggestions and opinions as possible at the moment, so I can make a decision.

Basically, I am debating which MBP I should buy for Music Production. Right now I am debating between the early

2011 "15 models 2.0Ghz 8GB for $1050 or

2.2GHz 8GB for 1350, or a

2011 "17 2.2Ghz 16GB for $1400,

or a 2012 "15 2.3Ghz 8GB for $1500

I have found a few sellers that are interested in selling me these for these prices, the 2012 "15 has warranty left, and the "15 2.2Ghz has warranty left on it.

To give you an idea on what I'd be dealing with as far as music production goes, I'll be working with Ableton Live 9 & FL Studio, I'd like to use at least 2 VST's at a time. And would like to use a handful of effects with some tracks. I'd like to be able to use up to at least 30 tracks at a time before I hear clicking.

Aside from Music Production, I'd like to be able to do some minor video editing, photo editing, and maybe even live-streaming/recording if possible. As far as gaming goes, if it can run StarCraft HoTs, I'd like to play it on my MBP. So yeah, quite a bit of options I'd like it to be able to deal with. Please let me know which you'd think would be better for my situation.

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I will go....

with the $1400 option. Screen real state is a plus when working with lots of menus and settings. And the extra RAM can help charging the virtual instruments, libraries and tracks, to my best knowledge.

:):apple:

3. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Because RAM can be upgraded on any of these, I would eliminate that as a deciding factor. Remaining warranty is a good thing for a used laptop. I also like the idea of having better portability just in case which pushes me toward the 15" form factor. So the final deciding factor here would be the USB3 functionality of the 2012, which gives the option of fast external storage.