Untethered iOS 5.1.1 not for 3GS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JayS90, May 15, 2012.

1. JayS90 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I just read this article on Redmond Pie, and it included this sentence:

Is there anyone else that's quite disappointed with this news? I own a 3GS and have a tethered 5.1 jailbreak, I'd even be happy with an untethered 5.1 JB, but I was really looking forward to running untethered 5.1.1.

:(

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

time to upgrade bud.

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

its starting to look like it, and im going to be ****ed out of sight. Im sitting here with two 5.1 3gs' on new basebands that are locked to Softbank simcards.

Redsn0w isnt working to get the iPad baseband to work either, it just gets stuck at the second stage and says exploit failed...

Pissed off

4. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Why is it so crucial that you have 5.1.1 untethered versus 5.1 untethered? If you want it so bad do it yourself, you honestly have no right to be pissed off.

5. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

dont be so quick to judge....im pissed off because i bought them in japan and they had 5.1 on them not 4.1 as advertised...

and i dont want 5.1.1...i just want 5.1 unlocked.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you require (or perhaps just want) the unlock, you should have bought them from a carrier that unlocks.

Taking a risk that someone else will create an unlock is a big risk.

7. newdeal macrumors 68020

The untether is nice but honestly other than piece of mind there isnt really much rebooting going on even when installing most cydia apps. Dont really see the big deal especially with semitether

8. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

The unlock was available when i bought them, but i cant get ultrasnow on 5.1 and redsn0w just giving me errors when i try and use ipad baseband.

----------

Glad to hear your battery never dies...but some of us have long days.. :(

9. JayS90 thread starter macrumors member

Having a tethered JB on my 3GS poses a bit of a problem, as my power button in the corner is a bit sticky and doesn't function as it should. I've been stuck in that loop where my phone keeps restarting as I was unable to boot tethered because of my sticky home button, nightmare! So if I ever really do need to reboot my device, it's a tough task >.< I'd be happy with any untether if I'm entirely honest! :eek:

10. newdeal macrumors 68020

Yeah my battery has never died once and i use it quite a bit (not for voice though). Regardless it doesnt matter put the 3gs on ebay and buy something else, you wont lose money on those phones

11. BlueRaider macrumors regular

Downgrade to 4.1 and be untethered if it's that important to you. Apple is still signing it as far as I know.

12. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

If you can afford an iMac, a Macbook, AND an iPad, you can afford either 1. a portable charger or SOMETHING that carries battery juice with it (or just bring the charger with you) 2. an off-contract iPhone 4 or something to use instead of your 3GS. Sell the 3GS and it won't even cost you 300 to upgrade.