Untethered iPad 4.2 jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by MactheMacman, Jan 5, 2011.

1. MactheMacman macrumors newbie

Is there an untethered iPad 4.2 jailbreak out there? I have a tethered jailbreak and it is making me mad that I can never fully shutdown my device without having to plug it into the computer to turn it back on again. If not! How can I downgrade my iPad software? Thanks
    MactheMacman

2. vant macrumors 65816

Yes, it is in beta right now and requires a dev account with Apple.

3. MactheMacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you explain? How can I get this? What program do I need to download? Like redsnow or spirit or something of the sort?

4. MactheMacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Downgrading software?

How can I downgrade my iPad software?I want to do an untethered jailbreak and I need earlier software than the 4.2.1 I have. Please help

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you are asking these kinds of questions, you are better off not touching the untethered jailbreak -- it's still in beta, and very buggy.

In order to downgrade to an earlier firmware, you need to have saved the SHSH for the firmware you want to downgrade to. Again, if you are asking "what is SHSH?" then it's too late to do anything -- you are stuck with 4.2.

But really, I have an iPad on tethered jailbreak right now, and I've never had to reboot it unexpectedly. The only time I've had to reboot was when I installed something from Cydia, and then I knew ahead of time that I would have to reboot.

6. MactheMacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

7. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

...if you read the post I made before yours you'll had all the answers ><
    before posting

8. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I don't anticipate it being much longer before there is an untethered jailbreak, I'd just hold off and not mess with it. The untethered jailbreak is meant for developers who are wishing to contribute, it is the POORER choice for the end user, and has less features and is very very buggy, as others have said. It's not just that you have to know what your doing, it's that it's not even intended for the end user right now.

I'd say in the next few weeks you'll see an untethered jailbreak, like others, I never need to shut mine down, so it's really not that much of a problem. I am looking forward to an untethered JB though for my iPhone (Too risky, if it were semi-tethered that would be one thing, but I can't imagine my iPhone dying and then being out of a phone until I can plug it into a PC!)

If I were you, I would just occasionally google "Jailbreak 4.2", and check for the dates on the stories that pop up. Every once in a while you'll see one that is a day or less old, and might have some good new information, usually it's some vague twitter tweet that the journalist will call "Validated confirmation", but sometimes it's good.

-John

9. Ksane macrumors regular

;)