Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hovitos-way

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Hi,

I have a 2nd gen (MC) version iPod Touch and decided today that I am going to jailbreak it. I am still on iOS 3.1.3 and downloaded the 4.1 firmware this morning. I planned to install Redsn0w 0.9.6b1 but I have now been told that this is a tethered jailbreak (which I believe means it can only be powered up each time when it is plugged into my mac). Is this correct? And if so, what is the latest untethered jailbreak available for my model of iPod? This is the first time I'm jailbreaking anything and, whilst I am fairly confident it won't be too difficult for me, I just wanted to check a few details out so any information anyone can give me would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
redsn0w is tethered for most devices if you are using 4.2.1. If you are willing to go to 4.1 instead, it should be untethered.

That said, I don't know the status of redsn0w and 4.1 specifically when it comes to 2G Touches with the "fixed" bootrom ("MC"). I know the MC model was kind of a black sheep for a while even when the 4.1 jailbreaks were first hitting the scene (I don't believe the first version(s) of either limera1n or greenpois0n supported iPod touch 2G MC, but late versions of at least limera1n fixed that oversight). It's possible that the limera1n exploit (which redsn0w and greenpois0n both use) on the 2G touch is different enough in its execution that it had to be specifically addressed/supported, and if so, I don't know if redsn0w can do limera1n on 2G touches; for all I know, it is continuing to use the original redsn0w/24kpwn for 2G touches, in which case the MC model probably wouldn't be supported at all, tethered or untethered. (I haven't tested it.)

The Dev-Team blog is down right now for maintenance as I type this, and I haven't had a chance to test it myself (and won't be able to for a little while), so I don't know for sure, but everything else that I've been able to find so far suggests that the redsn0w releases that incorporate the linera1n exploit do not support the Touch 2G MC. On the other hand, I'm fairly confident that he latest limera1n from limera1n.com does. So what I would do is restore to 4.1, and download and run limera1n itself.

Good luck,

-- Nathan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.