Untethered Jailbreak for iPhone 3GS running 4.2.1... Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Blazer5913, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, sorry if this is redundant but I have done my homework and researched this extensively but to no official answer. I have an iPhone 3GS running 4.2.1 and I wish to jailbreak it. Now I have been reading and reading about this apparent untethered jailbreak that geohot has in the works but not released yet. And I know that a redsn0w one exists but is still in testing for bugs and is also tethered. But it just hit me that these may just be for A4 devices like iPhone 4 and iPad, and that my 3GS may be an exception?? Any chance that I am right and am just somehow missing this is my google searching? Thanks guys.

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

3. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll begin to look. Meant to add that I don't need to be unlocked, just jailbroken. Anyone else?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're not missing anythhing.
    The latest untethered JB for 4.2.1 needs beta3 blobs to work and is not 100% done yet.
    And your other option is a tethered JB, thats all.

5. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Whelp, I guess that's that. thanks for the input, I am stuck waiting with everyone else then, just waiting for this 4.2.1 untethered release for JB. Thanks

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Did you check if you have old Bootrom 3GS the JB is untethered if you do.

8. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Damn, I'm in holding as well. I had a UK iPhone 4 factory unlocked JB'd on 4.1 and was having home button issues, so I flew up to Edmonton, Alberta and had them replaced with a like model that's factory unlocked (since in the US it's impossible to get a iPhone 4 replaced with an unlocked)... and the one they gave me has IOS 4.2.1 of course :-(

So I can only do tethered, correct? I'm just worried since I use my desktop computer to do my iTunes sync and if I'm traveling and need to reboot for whatever reason. If I carry my MB Air with the redsnow on it, is it possible to kick it out of the tethered, or does it HAVE to be my iTunes sync'd computer?

10. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

It can be any computer. You will need Redsn0w and the 4.2.1 .ipsw file for your iPhone model.