Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Hey guys,

Everytime i google jailbreak 4.3, all i get is info about iPad. Is there any info on a untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.3 for the iphone? I dont have my SSH blogs saved or anything, im just on virgin 4.3. I haven't heard any news about the jailbreak so i figured I might as well ask.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Nothing yet.
I heard some hacker said he'd have it ready by the end of the week and that was like 2-3 weeks ago.
Not sure whats up, unless they're waiting for the 4.3.1 that should be out within a week now.

tehreflex

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
The 4.2.1 jailbreak was released and like 2 weeks later 4.3 came out. Dev teams seem to have slowed down since the early days. We need Geohot!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The 4.2.1 jailbreak was released and like 2 weeks later 4.3 came out. Dev teams seem to have slowed down since the early days.

True, the 4.2.1 untethered JB was released at that time cause Apple had patched the exploit with the last 4.3 beta so there was no point on saving it.
That's why they released it ten, if it didnt get patched they would have saved it for 4.3 probably.
I wonder why they havent released any of the Monte JB tools that reuses your old 4.2.1 or older shsh blobs to JB untethered on the new firmware?

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I wonder why they havent released any of the Monte JB tools that reuses your old 4.2.1 or older shsh blobs to JB untethered on the new firmware?

My understanding is that ASLR implemented in 4.3 renders such tactics inoperable, making Monte a very short-lived affair.

DarkCloud2015

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2010
True, the 4.2.1 untethered JB was released at that time cause Apple had patched the exploit with the last 4.3 beta so there was no point on saving it.
That's why they released it ten, if it didnt get patched they would have saved it for 4.3 probably.

Dev Team is focused on unlocks, according to Musclenerd.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Oh, I didnt know that.
So even with the Monte method the ASLR is what's screwing things up?
That sucks, thanks Apple:)

That's my take, from reading through the lines. We know several of the components had to be rewritten (such as Mobile SubStrate) and there are many more in the process.

ASLR is definitely 'better for security' albeit the implementation in 4.3 is not a full-on implementation. It's more of a starting point and I expect Apple will continue to move more of the core infrastructure under the ASLR umbrella in future releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.