Untethered Jailbreak.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DannyBres, Nov 24, 2010.

1. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Sorry for the noob question but I am an experienced Jailbraker, I have just never been near an untethered solution.

If I jailbrake my iPad & iPhone 4 using the current untethered Jailbreak for 4.2.1, when they die can they be booted into an unjailbroken state for use? Or are they totally un usable if a computer is not nearby.

I ask as i am off on holiday next week and do not want to risk having no phone and ipad if they accidentally die

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

you will need to hook it up to a computer everytime it dies.

i don't think it will boot AT ALL, without a computer if it has a tethered JB.

Yeh it's a pain.

3. jbheath macrumors newbie

The poster above me is correct, it will not boot at all without a computer. I put the tethered jailbreak on mine, just for the hell of it, and it reset itself when connected to my computer. The screen froze on the apple logo, completely unresponsive, and I was forced to put it into DFU mode and do a system restore. I can't say I recommend the tethered jailbreak, you end up having to reboot the phone more than you think and it gets to be a real pain.

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

When it comes to this, there are a handful of scenarios:

Partially tethered and fully tethered. With partially tethered, your phone will reboot and will be functional as a normal and unjailbroken phone until you reconnect. This means while your jailbroken apps and tweaks aren't visible, they are there and will be restored as before the reboot once you connect to a computer.

With a fully tethered jailbreak, your phone is effectively a brick until you reconnect to your computer.

I haven't heard which this is.

5. DannyBres thread starter macrumors 65816

DannyBres

6. philstone macrumors 6502

I jb my iP4 on Tuesday using redsn0w b4 and it was partially tethered, if I rebooted it went into unjailbroken state but still totally useable.

7. Karatekid2001 macrumors newbie

what do you mean by before? with the new jailbreak for 4.2.1 does it go into just normal mode if u lose power or restart?

8. philstone macrumors 6502

If you are not using mobile substrate then it will boot but cydia apps will not work, also any apps moved by the jailbreak (safari etc) won't work, but as a normal phone it will be fine until you can tether boot it again.

If you have mobile substrate installed then you will be stuck at apple logo..

9. Karatekid2001 macrumors newbie

how can i tell if iv got it running or have it installed?