Untethered JB Impossible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dylanmoro, Jul 1, 2010.

1. dylanmoro macrumors newbie

I have an iphone 3gs (new bootrom never jb before) running the new 4.0 firmware with a 05.13.04 baseband. I think if I downgrade by firmware to 3.1.3 i can do it, but if someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

No jailbreak for you. You can only jailbreak 4.0 if you are coming from a previously jailbroken 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 (without Spirit). You have to wait for the next jailbreak.

3. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

And I forgot to mention that you can't downgrade since you don't have your SHSH blobs on Saurik's servers.

4. dylanmoro thread starter macrumors newbie

eta on that?

can you explain that as if you were talking to a retard? thanks.

5. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

No ETA yet. I would expect to see something shortly after the 4.0.1 iOS update.

As for the downgrade...Apple verifies every iPhone software restore. Notice how you can't restore your software without an internet connection? That is because it verifies with Apple's servers.

Beginning with the 3GS, Saurik, the guy behind Cydia created a server in the middle of your iPhone and Apple's activation servers that will intercept the little files that told your iPhone it is ok to restore the given software. With each software upgrade he kept those little files for your phone, so if you ever wanted to downgrade to a previous version, his server gives your phone the OK to do so. Therefore, if you have never jailbroken before, you will not have that little file on his server, and your phone will not be given the ok to downgrade to a previous version.

Don't worry though, there will be a jailbreak for iOS 4 soon.

6. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

Something I never understood 100%. I thought this only affected downgrading. Why can't he create a custom firmware with pwnagetool and restore to that? He's technically restoring the phone to the same fw version. Will not having the SHSH blogs also prevent that?

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Do you know if it is possible to jailbreak an iPhone 3GS with 3.1.3 with the old bootrom, and 05.12.01?

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Spirit

9. dylanmoro thread starter macrumors newbie

just so you know, the baseband (05.12.01) has nothing to do with jailbreaking, only unlocking it to be used with other carriers. So if you just want a jb, spirit will work, if you want to unlock your phone too i think redsn0w would work, but i'm not sure, that might be too high of a bb.

10. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Come on guys..READ. Says in the first post, new bootrom...resulting in not being able to use custom FW's.

11. dylanmoro thread starter macrumors newbie

haha thanks, but since you sound like you know what you're talking about, the only thing i can do is wait on the new spirit 4.0 to come out, right?

12. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

pretty much i'm afraid, once it's out though ultrasn0w is there to unlock

13. dylanmoro thread starter macrumors newbie

i thought the way spirit jb's makes it impossible to unlock afterwards?

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

for now! (nothing is forever) ;)

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

No, Spirit and Ultrasn0w work together flawlessly.

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

First off you need old bootrom. Second when you downgrade you are going to a firmware which has a hackable iboot and when you upgrade to a custom firmware you are keeping the hacked iboot compared to regular 4.0 which doesn't have a known hackable iboot.