Untethering a Tethered 5.0 Jailbreak (iPhone 4)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Typenow, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Typenow macrumors newbie

I've been running a 5.0 tethered jailbreak on my iPhone 4 for months now and I want to untether it. It's especially a pain when I'm flying and I have to turn it off for takeoff. Is it possible to install the 5.0.1 corona jailbreak from cydia. Also I'm not sure how to upgrade my software version since when I try to do that iTunes receives an error and I have to go into DFU mode and tether boot.

Anyways, any help would be great :D

2. braxton34 macrumors member

Open cydia and see if 5.0.1 SHSH blobs show up in green at the top of the Cydia home page.
    If so, you can use iFaith to create a custom 5.0.1 IPSW with those SHSHs and then restore to that custom OS with iTunes. Then re-jailbreak with Redsn0w and you're golden.

If you do not have shsh for 5.0.1, you are stuck until a 5.1 untethered jb is released.

Let us know what blobs you have saved.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont need to restore your iphone or blobs or any of the things the poster above said.
    All you need to do is install corona from cydia to untether your JB.

4. braxton34 macrumors member

That does not work for iOS 5.0. At least it did not for me. I tried it when I was in a similar situation and it did nothing.

I believe Corona only works if you had a tethered JB on 5.0.1 and you did not want to re-install cydia.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The latest version of corona works on the i4 to untether 5.0.
    Even if it didnt work he still doesnt need to restore.
    All you have to do is JB using the latest redsnow version and uncheck the install cydia box.
    This process will 100% untether it.

6. braxton34, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

braxton34 macrumors member

I guess the OP can try your suggestions and report back here.

Then we will know for sure...

I did notice Corona 5.0.1 is now at version 1.0-8 whereas the version I tried was 1.0-6, so maybe it is fixed for iOS 5.0 now. OP please report and let us know. Thanks.

7. braxton34 macrumors member

Finally got another iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0 to test and can confirm that NEITHER Corona or unselecting cydia will untether an iOS 5.0 jailbreak.

It cannot be untethered- CONFIRMED !!!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird, it works for everyone else. CONFIRMED by thousands.

9. braxton34 macrumors member

Never worked for me twice in a row on 2 separate iphones- a 3GS and a 4.
    Can you show me any links where people confirmed it works untethered on iOS 5.0 because I have never seen a single link with a first person account that iOS 5 can be untethered. I think you are confused because the 4S can be untethered on iOS 5 but not the 3GS or 4.

Go ahead and try it for yourself....

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't like to argue but it's 100% that the 5.0.1 untethered jb works on the 5.0 devices too.
    There's untether jb for the 3GS,i4 and 4S.