Untethering iOS 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by j-a-x, Nov 5, 2011.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I am running iOS 4.2.1 on an iPhone 3GS, but the jailbreak I have got is tethered.

I've tried running the latest version os Redsn0w but whatever I do it still seems to be tethered.

Can anybody help me untether this iPhone? Shouldn't untethering 4.2.1 be pretty standard?

2. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Okay so I went back to iOS 4.1 and used limera1n and it worked but I'm not sure why I can't get iOS 4.2.1 to untether.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Use greenpoisi0n on 4.2.1. Why don't you upgrade to 4.3.X or 5?

4. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I tried Greenpoison and it jus said "failed :(" after attempting to start the jailbreak. Redsn0w never failed but it always resulted in tethered no matter which version I used. No idea why. Limera1n was the only thing that worked.

I don't want 5 because it's semi-tethered. I tried 4.3 and 4.3.5 but I could't get either of those to work untethered. I'm kind of sick of trying to make it work though and I'm going to sell the phone anyways. As long as I get it untethered and unlocked I can sell it and let a future owner try to upgrade it if they want. So at least it's got a working install of 4.1 and a working unlock and jailbreak now.

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I thought 4.3.3 is untether? And you can even use jailbreakme!

6. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I tried it but when I loaded jailbreakme.com on my device it didn't have the option to jailbreak, just a bunch of text and a link to an FAQ and some info about the site. I figured the actual jailbreak button didn't show up because my device was not supported.

And 4.3.3 SHOULD be untethered but none of the jailbreak options did that for me. Even though they were supposed to be untethered the best I got was semi-tethered (i.e.: I couldn't launch Cydia unless I did a tethered boot via redsn0w).