until when can i buy apple care?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sannekita, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

Hello,
    I bought my macbook pro last year in february. I now would like to buy an apple care protection plan. Do I have until february this year to buy it? or is it already too late now?
    thank you

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Anytime within the first year you own your Mac.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You have 1 year to buy and register AppleCare. So if you buy online make sure you leave enough time to register it as well.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As long as it's purchased within the first year, it can be registered later, according to AppleCare.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Can you post a link? Because I find that very hard to believe. That would allow all sorts of abuse. For example if I buy 2 MacBooks I could buy 1 AppleCare and not register it. When one of the MacBooks went wrong I could claim that I was using the AppleCare on that MacBook, regardless of which went wrong. Registration prevents this by tying the care to a single product...

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's probably official policy that one has to purchase and register within the first year, but i do know apple makes exceptions concerning registration. my sister bought applecare for her macbook without registering (not realizing she needed to), and when she wanted to get her laptop fixed, apple was really nice about the whole situation. registered her up and everything, and this was well past the year mark from purchase. it probably helped that applecare and the macbook were on the same receipt.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you purchase AppleCare, you're entitled to coverage of one computer. It doesn't matter to Apple which one you use it for, but you can't use it for both. You have to register AppleCare before you receive any services, but if you fail to register it for weeks or months after the original warranty expires, you can still register it and use it. You simply won't have any coverage during the time it isn't registered, and the expiration date will still be 3 years from the date of purchase of your computer, not from the time you purchase AppleCare.

From Apple's site: