iPhone unusable iphone 4s after trying to restore from a 3gs jailbroken backup

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by paulalvareza, Oct 14, 2012.

1. paulalvareza macrumors newbie

I have a brand new iphone 4s iOS 5.1.1. The problem was after activating it I try to restore it from an iphone 3gs jailbroken and unlocked using iTunes. The restore seemed to be ok, but it was interrupted with an error message, the iphone started to reboot again and again, it was an ususable brick, the only way to stop it was putting it in restore mode. I tried to restore it to factory settings using ios 5.1.1 with unsuccessful results ("this device is not elegible for the requested build" message). I did it using dfu mode and other ways but with no results. iTunes asked for restoring to factory settings using the latest software (iOS 6), but since there is no way to jailbreak it so far, I tried to restore it using 5.1.1. It was very frustrating to have my new iphone as a unusable brick, I tried everything. Finally I decided to do my last try, install iOS 6, it worked, but now I can't jailbreak it. I only want to jailbreak it, because I don't need to unlock it, since I am using the iphone with the carrier which is locked to. I have some questions, what caused all that mess? was it the back up from the jailbroken iPhone 3gs? did that ruined something in my iphone in some way?
    why doesn't itunes let me downgrade to ios 5.1.1? I am worried about those issues...
    Thanks for the replies, those will be pretty helpful!!

2. dreamof3d macrumors regular

dreamof3d

3. Z06jerry macrumors regular

ATM there is no way to downgrade a 4S to 5.1.1 because Apple is no longer signing 5.1.1. & there is no jailbreak for 4S running iOS6. You 're stuck until the next jailbreak comes along.

4. paulalvareza thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I clearly understand that I'm stuck on iOS 6 till the jailbreak is released. But, what originate all this mess, was it iTunes detecting the backup was from a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone? The iphone was unusable, did that damage something of the phone? or that is a known problem?
    Thanks!

5. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Since you where able to install iOS6 that means the Iphone is fine. Impossible to know why you had a problem, unfortunately now you have to wait.