iPhone XS Max Unusable Lightning Port

kevman8396

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Maryland / USA
I got the tip of a lightning charger stuck in the charging port and no one can get it out, not even the Apple Store so I have accepted the fact that the port is now useless. Luckily there is wireless charging. Anyone else have a lightning port that they cannot use? Unfortunately if I ever need to restore the phone I cannot. Also, it seems that I cannot download messages from iCloud without the phone being plugged in. The wireless charging does not allow them to download.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I got the tip of a lightning charger stuck in the charging port and no one can get it out, not even the Apple Store so I have accepted the fact that the port is now useless. Luckily there is wireless charging. Anyone else have a lightning port that they cannot use? Unfortunately if I ever need to restore the phone I cannot. Also, it seems that I cannot download messages from iCloud without the phone being plugged in. The wireless charging does not allow them to download.
You can always sync with iTunes WIFI/wireless.

I think the charging port is directly soldered to the motherboard, at least it used to be.

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
A lightning port replacement is a very involved and tricky repair. There's a YouTube video showing what's entailed. Scary. I don't think Apple even repairs them - and if they do, the cost wouldn't be worth it... and a 3rd party replacement would be a gamble.

Since my lightning port is acting up I researched into it and came to the conclusion that if the port stops working, the wisest choice is to get another phone.

kevman8396

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Maryland / USA
A lightning port replacement is a very involved and tricky repair. There's a YouTube video showing what's entailed. Scary. I don't think Apple even repairs them - and a 3rd party replacement would be a gamble.

Since my lightning port is acting up I researched into it and came to the conclusion that if the port stops working, the wisest choice is to get another phone.
Yes I agree. I can wireless charge it and when I am able to, just upgrade the phone.

chris54342

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
The day after my son got a new iPad for his birthday he broke the lightening connector off in it. Wife took it to a repair shop and they jammed something in it and said, nope its stuck going to have to replace the port. When I got back in town I went my parts bin and selected the smallest screw eye hook I could find. Screwed it into the stuck piece of the lightning connector, grabbed it with pliers and pulled it right out. Was there a chance I would damage the charging port? Sure. Did I care if I damaged an unusable charging port? No. Good luck.

kevman8396

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Maryland / USA
You have XS max. So it should be under warranty and year hasn’t passed by. So I’m pretty sure they could replace your device under warranty.
I believe it is viewed as accidental damage and therefore that is not covered under the manufacturer warranty. That what I was told at the Apple Store. Might be worth it to aign up for Apple Care and pay the $99 to get a replacement device.

Reactions: Newtons Apple