Unused but active unlimited data sim?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cutwolf, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

If I were to purchase an unlimited data sim off of ebay, is there a window where I have to put it in an iPad before it's canceled or anything?

Might be a silly question, but I don't have my 3G iPad 2 yet, and since I think unlimited data sim prices will only go up (and will become harder to find), I wanted to purchase it now and keep the plan active until I can get my hands on the iPad.

Anything to worry about?

2. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Pretty sure payment can't lapse or you're SOL.

3. Cutwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

I can manage payment online.

I just want to make sure that as long as I'm paying for it, it will stay active even if not in a device (ie I don't want them to say, at the end of my billing cycle, "this sim is not being used. you can no longer renew it.")

4. JeffMorse macrumors regular

Cutwolf,

Be careful here. As I understand it, there is more to it than just plugging in the sim. You'll need 2 numbers from the old ipad (the IMEI and another number) and will need to call AT&T to do the swap.

Also, once the plan lapses it's over and done with.

5. Cutwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

According to http://via.pulsene.ws/15vCQ , sim swapping is the official way. This is also confirmed by Apple's support article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4582?viewlocale=en_US

I'm not planning to let the plan lapse. I plan to upload all of my billing information to the website as soon as I purchase the sim. I just want to make sure I can do that, even if the sim might not be used for a month.

6. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

7. JeffMorse macrumors regular

8. Cutwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No idea, really. On the one hand, AT&T might just keep billing you until you cancel, and on the other hand, they might detect that the SIM is not being used and cancel your plan. Basically, you have a 50/50 chance your plan will work.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I have an unlimited plan. In the past 12 months, I've gone at least a month straight without using any 3G data at all. My account was always auto paid and remains so even though I sold my iPad 2 weeks ago (took the sim out).

11. Cutwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So your sim isn't currently in an iPad?

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you're talking to me, no, it is currently in my wallet.

13. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I'm quite sure AT&T will happily let you continue to pay them for using no data.