Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Is it normal to have folders only viewable in the web Drive app of apps like Quicktime that are disabled through setting on my Mac? They are empty and I can view the empty file in iOS, but not in the Mac Finder.

I have one for Scripts, Automator, Quicktime, etc. that are not checked on my Mac's iCloud Settings.

Thanks.

rehlers

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Phoenix, AZ - USA
I have that same thing happening to me. I find it makes iCloud Drive even less appealing. When I browser iCloud Drive from iOS apps that support it, I have 8-10 empty folders that I cannot get rid of. Some are for apps that I don't even have installed any more. I don't see any way to get rid of them.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It lets you see hidden files. That's the only explanation I can think of. Because when I look in mine on OS X, I don't see the majority of my iOS apps, but when I enable hidden folders I do.

Simple fix I bet. Maybe when 8.1 finally comes out.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Yes I have same problem and am not impressed.

I installed an app and then deleted on IOS. I can still see the folder when picking using other apps from IOS. I don't see in iCloud drive and I don't see in Yosemite. If I show hidden folders in Yosemite I then see it.

Junk!

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
Is it normal to have folders only viewable in the web Drive app of apps like Quicktime that are disabled through setting on my Mac? They are empty and I can view the empty file in iOS, but not in the Mac Finder.

I have one for Scripts, Automator, Quicktime, etc. that are not checked on my Mac's iCloud Settings.

Thanks.

Before I set up the iCloud Drive (there is a screen with app choices), I unchecked everything but Pages, so no other folders would appear. Only the Pages folder appears.

rehlers

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Phoenix, AZ - USA
Yeah, unchecking the apps removes them from the view in Yosemite, but they all still show up on my iPhone in the ios picker for me. I can delete everything from the iCloud drive folder in Yosemite, but there is no delete option via the web or iPhone.

danielceleste

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
It lets you see hidden files. That's the only explanation I can think of. Because when I look in mine on OS X, I don't see the majority of my iOS apps, but when I enable hidden folders I do.

Same here. The only concerning part, to me, about this is that after signing out of iCloud and back in on your Mac, it will only ever show folders created or modified after you sign back in. And there's no other way to unhide the old ones.

I'm also having issues accessing plain folders I add to Drive from my Mac in iOS' document picker, despite them showing on the web.

That leads me to conclude that the iCloud Drive web app is the only location without flaws.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here

How do you enable and disable hidden folders on OS X?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.