Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
Alicante, Spain
Hi,
I have been noticing since last Tuesday that my iPhone 6 battery drains faster than usually. I have checked the battery usage per app and Calendar (background activity) is consuming 25% in the last 24 hours when in the last week only consumed around 13%. I have all my apps closed when not using, and Calendar is one of the apps I use the less. I haven't updated iOS since I have 8.3 since launch day. Besides, my father's iPhone 4 (iOS 7) has been experimenting the same issue since the very same day, so I wonder if is there something going on with Apple servers. I have just reset the network stats to see if it is related to unusual data consumption from the calendar app.

Has anyone noticed this too?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Hi,
I have been noticing since last Tuesday that my iPhone 6 battery drains faster than usually. I have checked the battery usage per app and Calendar (background activity) is consuming 25% in the last 24 hours when in the last week only consumed around 13%. I have all my apps closed when not using, and Calendar is one of the apps I use the less. I haven't updated iOS since I have 8.3 since launch day. Besides, my father's iPhone 4 (iOS 7) has been experimenting the same issue since the very same day, so I wonder if is there something going on with Apple servers. I have just reset the network stats to see if it is related to unusual data consumption from the calendar app.

Has anyone noticed this too?

Is it possible this may have something to do with the push settings on the account? Try setting to manual and see if there is a difference.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
In my iPhone 6 Plus, I cannot even see calendar app in statistic. I use iOS 8.4 beta 3. I guess this might be the software issue.

Since wwdc is upcoming within a few days, we can expect iOS 8.4 would fix such issues.

ncod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
Alicante, Spain
Is it possible this may have something to do with the push settings on the account? Try setting to manual and see if there is a difference.
I tried to cut everything that has to do with calendar: push, background refresh..., but still the battery lasts less than expected. Yesterday I restored the device and now I'm waiting for a full discharge in order to make a proper calibration.

In my iPhone 6 Plus, I cannot even see calendar app in statistic. I use iOS 8.4 beta 3. I guess this might be the software issue.

Since wwdc is upcoming within a few days, we can expect iOS 8.4 would fix such issues.

I really hope so, but it's odd since I haven't updated iOS recently.

I also noticed that usage and standby times were similar even when I barely was using the iPhone...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I tried to cut everything that has to do with calendar: push, background refresh..., but still the battery lasts less than expected. Yesterday I restored the device and now I'm waiting for a full discharge in order to make a proper calibration.

I really hope so, but it's odd since I haven't updated iOS recently.

I also noticed that usage and standby times were similar even when I barely was using the iPhone...

Then I must say, you have the same battery draining issue. Apple Community is filled with anger from lots of users reporting serious battery issue.

I myself is OK because this beta version does some decent job on battery management. But battery is still a serious problem on many devices, including iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus. Those users mainly have iOS 8.3 running on their devices. I rarely use iOS 8.3 because new music app is gorgeous.

Tell you what? Here is another user complaining about calendar background activity.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...3-hours-calendar-background-activity.1797309/
I don't know if you have double checked this one, but I think this might help.

ncod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
Alicante, Spain
I still haven't solved the issue, but in the last days I've made some discoveries:
1. Restoring from backup doesn't solve this.
2. It's not a calendar problem, usage time goes on increasing although the phone is on standby and calendar is no longer the app that consumes most of the battery.
3. Last night the phone was on, not on charger and in airplane mode: usage time 8 minutes. The night before, phone on, not on charger, Do Not Disturb mode on: usage time 2h45m.

Tonight I'm going to leave it on, not on charger, DND on but with the SIM card out. I wonder if it has something to do with some activity from my carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.