Unusual Crashes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattthemutt, Aug 15, 2007.

1. mattthemutt macrumors regular

mattthemutt

I'm currently on my C2D Macbook with 10.4.10, and I've noticed a VERY large number of apps crashing.

(This hasn't been just since I upgraded to 10.4.10; I've routinely had crashes on this Macbook. Since I updated, however, the frequency has increased greatly.)

Today, I've had at least 10 applications close unexpectedly.

I've had Safari, VLC, Rise of Nations (Game), Quicktime and iBiz all crash unexpectedly. During the crashes, there has been nothing out of the ordinary going on.

Is there something that I might be doing wrong, or is 10.4.10 causing my system to go nutty?

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

You could have a failing harddrive, try repairing permissions if it persists archive and reinstall and if it still persits drive to an Apple store.

3. mattthemutt thread starter macrumors regular

mattthemutt

:eek: Yipe! I certainly hope the hard drive isn't failing.

That makes this the third problem after the inverter failed, the top chassis broke, and now the hard drive.

Thanks for the heads up! :eek:

4. mattthemutt thread starter macrumors regular

mattthemutt

Sorry to reply twice in a row, but the disk check keeps failing.

It says "The Underlying task failed" or something along those lines, and so it refuses to Repair the volume.

Is that an indicator of the hard drive failing?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not necessarily, but it is an indication of an error on the drive, typically a problem with the directory. These can usually be repaired with a commercial disk repair application like DiskWarrior or Tech Tool. You don't want to be attempting an archive and install under these circumstances -- you stand a real chance of making matters worse.

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Yeah, An archive and install might not be good. Do you have access to an external rive to backup to? You might want to invest in techtool or diskwarrior but they are not gauranteed to solve the problem, as it may be the harddrive.

7. mattthemutt thread starter macrumors regular

mattthemutt

Yeah, I've got an external drive.

Should I just make an image of my current drive, and put it on the external disk?

8. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

You can try using super duper or carbon copy cloner, I recommend superduper to replicate your current drive, however the copying process may fail and in that case drag the files over you want to be sure to have.