Unusual Crashing on MPB 2010 unibody model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by myheaduphigh, Mar 27, 2013.

1. myheaduphigh macrumors newbie

Hey, forums. I hope this is the appropriate place to post this.

I purchased my MBP 2010 model shortly before the retina display models were released. It's rarely given me any sort of problem for as long as I've had it until recently. I've been experiencing some very unusual crashes. In fact, I don't even know how to describe these to google around for solutions. I did manage to get a screencap of what was happening though.

Its hard to replicate the crash because it seems to happen when it wants to. I've been on skype calls and have had it happen as well as just simply browsing web pages. Then, suddenly, the screen sort of goes... crazy. I have tried switching browsers, making sure everything is updated, etc. Pretty much all of the initial troubleshooting that you're told to go through, to no avail.

I'm still covered under applecare. Does anyone have an idea of what is causing this, or should I just go ahead and give apple a call? (No Apple store within a two hour drive for me.)

I attached the screenshot of what it looks like.

Attached Files:

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's not unusual for your computer to crash
    on anyone
    It's not unusual for a 2010 to kernel panic
    on anyone
    It's not unusual to replicate a system crash for anyone
    But when I see your GPU hanging out
    with anyone
    It's gonna die
    That card is fried.

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I had similar graphics problems with my 2010 15" (330M) but this was quite a while ago and the problem managed to sort itself out. To be honest, I'd forgotten about this until I saw this thread so not sure what the fix was. Perhaps an OS or Flash update? :confused:

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

There was a software update but I know that didn't help me. Only a logic board replacement did.

6. myheaduphigh thread starter macrumors newbie

Best reply because of your username and what you wrote.

Anyways, thanks everybody. I kind of had a feeling it was most likely my gpu. I'll give applecare a ring this week.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555