Unusual Fan Speed using DAW

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scofopolis, Apr 14, 2019.

1. scofopolis macrumors newbie

scofopolis

Hey folks,

Macbookpro mid 2015 15 inch.I'm using ableton with an instance of Kontakt. Running High Sierra.

I have a Scarlett 2i4 as my soundcard (powered via USB)I have an external SSD where I keep all my sound libraries.I am using a Rolan A88 keyboard as a controller that I am pluggin in via USB.

I've used this setup for quite a while (except for the soundcard - it's a newer purchase). However, I don't remember my computer fans going bonkers everytime I simply played a piano plugin on kontakt through ableton.

I've done so much to try and rectify this issue - I've 'optimized high sierra', I use a USB power hub, heck - I even formatted and reinstalled my OS on my macbookpro. Still, I am getting very loud and distracting fan noise which bleeds into my microphone when I am recording vocals. I know I'm able to manually turn down my fans, but I don't want to risk any damage to my computer.

What's happening?!!!

2. Honza1 macrumors regular

Try opening the bottom cover and clean the cooling fins and fans with compressed air. Try blowing in the vents from back side. May be you have dust bunnies in the cooling system. Of course, power off first and work carefully.

3. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

What @Honza1 said is great advice, but I will add some software thoughts;

are you playing a new VST through Kontakt? Even though it's still through Kontakt, each VST will have its own set of requirements.
    In Kontakt settings, you can change settings for various performance related things, like how many cores it's allowed to use, and what latency you're allowing for processing - have you adjusted these since the fan speed changed?

Try a different DAW (GarageBand is a free one to test with) and see if the fans react the same way when playing Kontakt from within it. I personally use Kontakt with GarageBand and generally don't see high fan profiles, with the VSTs I play.

4. scofopolis thread starter macrumors newbie

scofopolis

yes I've done this! Still no change :(
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2019 ---
    Ill give this a look - thanks for the feedback!