Unusual iphone 3g crashing problem...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fazthebro, Oct 29, 2010.

1. fazthebro macrumors newbie

I've looked all over the internet and havn't found a solution to this. My iphone 3g was running 3.1.3 since i bought it off ebay, and worked fine. But for the last few months, the iphone has crashed when using apps, the pinwheel will show up for a few seconds then it turns off.

It only crashes using downloaded apps, or apps that use lots of memory like safari and maps. Messages and the other apps it came with are fine. It will run an app (eg froggyjump) for 20 seconds-5minutes sometimes, and then crash. After it is turned off it will turn back on again if im lucky, but most of the time shows the apple logo then turns back off again after it starts. However the phone will always turn on and run perfectly when it is plugged in.

After the crashes the battery life is shown at 1% even if it is fully charged, and will last a whole day on 1%. I have just updated to 4.1 using sn0wbreeze but still the crashes are happening!!

Anyone who could shed some light on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

you said you updated the OS, but you need to do is a factory restore (not from a back-up) and see if that fixes your issues, it could be a corrupt OS (since you did Jailbreak your phone).

3. fazthebro thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't do a backup, just did a straight restore through itunes 10 from DFU to 4.1. Or is that not a full restore?

4. yac macrumors newbie

I too have an iPhone 3G and i too experienced crashes. But, since removing Winterboard, i've yet to see any crashes!

The best way to rule out hardware fault is to to a complete restore, then use the phone as is(you can sync contacts if you wish), and see if you still experience issues. If you don't then slowly start adding apps and features one by one, and make sure to use your phone for a full day in between.

This way you have a better chance of finding either a troublesome app(as Winterboard was in my case) or finding out that you might have a hardware fault in your phone.