Unusual iPhone 3G Problem - Please Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by glasspassenger, Apr 14, 2011.

1. glasspassenger macrumors newbie

Hello,

So I had a perfectly functioning iPhone 3G 8GB running iOS 4.2.1 and the 6.15.00 baseband. I wanted to wipe the data on it and since it was jailbroken I knew I had to reload the iOS. I put the phone in DFU mode and loaded 4.2.1 from itunes, of course I got the 1015 error. I then put the iPhone into pwned DFU mode (using ireb r4) so I could properly load a modifed ipsw that preserved the 6.15.00 baseband.

I plugged in a different iPhone 3G with 6.15.00 baseband and ran sn0wbreeze 2.2 to create a modified iPhone 3G 4.2.1 ipsw. I am assuming I needed this iPhone 3G plugged into my computer, but I was never asked to put the phone into recovery mode or DFU mode and it appeared to make the ipsw without using the iPhone, I'm not really sure either way?

Anyways, the ipsw was successfully created so I unplugged the functioning iPhone 3G and plugged the pwned DFU 3g in and loaded the new ipsw from itunes. I saw the snowbreeze logo during the process and it restored successfully. However I stopped looking at the phone and just saw the normal itunes pop up saying the phone would reboot in x seconds, all appeared well.

The problem was the phone did not reboot and now it shows no signs of life. It is completely dead... its the weirdest problem I have ever seen. I have tried holding home + power for 20+ seconds... tried plugging into AC power source for extended time, nothing works. I opened up the phone and it's very clean inside, nothing is damaged... no water damage and I made sure main power connector and LCD connectors were locked in place.

I am completely perplexed and I would appreciate ANY feedback or advice.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I am running windows 7

2. glasspassenger thread starter macrumors newbie

I also wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with the Apple out-of-warranty battery replacement service?

My question is does Apple actually replace the battery of your unit or do they send you a replacement unit like they do with all other warranty and out-of-warranty service repairs?

The reason I am asking is I would happily pay the $70-80 for that service if I knew a working replacement unit would be sent back.

Thanks again