Unusual MBA problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by alias99, Nov 18, 2010.

1. alias99 macrumors regular

Hi

I have got a 13 inch MBA ultimate. Had it for about a week now with no problems and am loving it

However today I put the screen down and left it on my bed assuming it was off but when I returned about an hour later I could hear the fan going at full speed and the laptop was quite warm. I am puzzled as to why it was still on so was hoping someone could spot the problem

I opened it up immeadetly and there was nothing on the screen so i held the power button down to turn it off and when I pressed it again to turn it on on the screen there was a message saying it could not be shut down but the owrk i had opened was gone. Its very unusual and am slightly concerned.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Do you remember what program you were running? Perhaps something crashed preventing it from going to sleep. By "nothing on the screen," do you mean you had a black screen and backlight but nothing else, or just a blank desktop? If the former, that could be the "wake from sleep" issue that several of us have had. If it does it again, then that could be the issue (I had my MacBook Air replaced as a result of that issue).

3. alias99 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a few things open lie itunes, safari, skype, nambu nothing unsual and yes it was a black screen. Ill see if it happens again! what exactly is the problem with your and was it an easy swap for a new one?

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I describe it more in my poll question, but essentially, most of the time when it went into Computer Sleep (not just display sleep), it would not wake up properly. I'd get the black screen. Occasionally I could tell programs were running in the back. Sometimes a swipe would eventually restore it. Other times closing and reopening the lid would, but most times it required a power down and restart. It would do this whether it went to sleep because I put the lid down, or if I just left it with the lid open and it timed itself to sleep.

I took it to the Genius Bar and they replaced it. Note that the store had a like model in stock (Ultimate 13).

5. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

In the future you might want to avoid leaving it on the bed. That's a bad place especially since others might not notice and sit on it. Also bedding is notorious for causing a laptop to get hot since there's no airflow like there is if you place it on a flat hard surface.