Unusual PowerBook G4 boot failure

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jconly, Dec 2, 2008.

1. jconly macrumors member

I just recently started to experience some very unusual behavior on an older PowerBook G4, and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before, as I can't seem to find any documented info on this.

Basically, out of the blue, the user began to experience issues waking from sleep, while using the laptop closed with external monitor, USB keyboard and mouse. Although a powercord was always connected, the machine seemed to be powering off.

For a while, hitting the power button would boot things up again, properly, but not anymore. I have since disconnected all peripherials. Now, when pressing the power button, the machine will beep 3 times and then repeat itself every so often. The sleep led will blink three times, go solid, then repeat. Sometime the harddrive tries to spin, sometimetimes not. The screen remains off. I have tried both resetting the Pmu as well as booting from cd (or any other source for that matter, both with no success.

Any ideas what's going on?
    I figure it must be failed hardware, but can not run the hardware test from cd. Perhaps the mother board just died?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I think the 3 beeps means there is a problem with the memory? Try pulling that out and run with the stock memory. 12" has soldered non-removable memory with 1 extra slot. Remove that one and start up to see if that solves anything. If you have the 15"+ models, there are 2 slots so try only using one stick but try with both separately to see if that fixes the problem.

Running the laptop closed can cause heat related problems and maybe that's what you are experiencing?