Unusual Problem - Safe Mode

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BenEndeem, Aug 1, 2008.

1. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

Computer: MacBook OS X 10.5.4 (purchased in May 2008)

I was recently asked to perform a safe mode test by technical support for my internet connection. To do so I was told to hold shift and turn the computer on, however this just made the computer lag on the screen with the Apple symbol and the gear.

I looked up this problem which was described as 'kernel panic' and continued to look into this. As instructed on a website, I loaded the computer 10 times; 5 trying safe mode and 5 just switching it on; the 5 in safe mode all had the same result and I never actually got to the safe mode screen, but the 5 without attempting safe mode all worked as normal.

Other than that I've looked at several other possible kernel panic symptoms, none of which are shown; including external hardware and improperly internal hardware. Therefore the only symptom appears when trying to boot safe mode. (The MacBook works as usual in all other areas).

Is this some sort of localized kernel panic, or is it another issue altogether? Help will be much appreciated, thank you.

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

How exactly did the screen look? Was the gear still spinning?
    What make you think it's a kernel panic?

I am asking because booting in safe mode take much longer than usual, since the OS perform some test. Are you sure you waited enough time?

3. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I've had to boot into safe mode before and it is has taken at some times 10 minutes to boot.

4. BenEndeem thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it was spinning and probably I didn't wait long enough (about 3-5 minutes I'd say).

If its the case that it can take rather a long time then obviously that's the problem, thanks for the help I will try waiting for about ten minutes or so.