Unusual problems restoring custom ipsw's from Pwnage 4.2

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Unky, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Unky macrumors newbie

I've ran jailbreaks and unlocks many different ways on different devices over the years but I'm having an unusually difficult time with pwnage 4.2. I ran pwnage 4.2 on a pwned iPhone 3GS using clean firmware iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore and successfully created a custom ipsw for the device. I tried running the restore function on the newly created custom ipsw with a iMac i7 running iTunes 10.1.2, a MacBook Pro running iTunes 10.2, and a Mac Mini running iTunes 10.1.2 all attempts generate an "error 21" shortly after completing the unpack process. I know that error 21 and 1600 are some of the most common errors that occur during a restore and are indicative of a USB communication error which doesn't shed much light on the situation. Phone is currently running 3.1.2 firmware and baseband 5.11.07 unlocked through cydia with ultrasnow. Recreating custom ipsw's from fresh downloads of clean firmware does not fix the problem. The error caused the phone to stick in DFU mode. The standard techniques to exit were not effective even after rebooting. Luckily after kicking it back out using iTunes and a clean ipsw, I'm a little nervous about trying it again. This is my girlfriend's phone and if anything gets ****ed up I will not live to see the morning. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

i did this yesterday and got some similar errors but in all cases it was wrong procedure on my part.

ITunes should be closed when you are running pwnage tool.

After you create the custom firmware you use pwnage tool to put the phone in DFU mode. When pwnage tool tells you that the phone has successfully entered DFU mode close pwnage tool and open itunes.

If at first the phone is not detected by itunes close it and open it again until the phone is detected. Once the phone is detected select option restore and browse for your Custom IPSW, select it and start the restore process.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, make sure you put it in pwned dfu mode with pwnage or redsnow or it won't work.

4. Unky thread starter macrumors newbie

Entering recovery mode using the pwnage tool seems to have improved the situation by getting me past the error 21 stage. The "verifying with apple" phase is now timing out and I'm getting a message saying the update server is not responding. Since 4.2 is an untethered jailbreak I'm assuming the dev-team server is currently offline unless someone knows more about what this error means.

5. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

First, now that Apple is only signing, to install 4.2 firmware, you need to have 4.2 SHSH blobs saved. Do you have them saved?

If no, you cant restore to 4.2 or any firmware, except current 4.3, you don't have SHSH blobs saved for.

If yes, before trying to restore through iTunes with custom file, start Tinyumbrella and save you SHSH blobs. Once done, use Tinyumbrella's TSS server option. Afterward, you can start iTunes and do a restore.

6. Unky thread starter macrumors newbie

'Thought I'd saved the blobs prior with cydia but it must not have held because after saving blobs with tinyumbrella it eliminated the server dialog and the restore worked through iTunes. Thank you to all for the advice. :D

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If the op did not have SHSH he would have got a completely different message than what he was getting. Something along the lines "You are not eligible for this Build"

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. BeijingMac macrumors newbie

BeijingMac

I'm trying to upgrade my 3GS from Ver 3.1.2 to Ver 4.2.1 using Pwnage 4.2. At first I got the error message about not a valid version and then the phone was locked. I used TinyUmbrella to restore and the phone is working again, albeit in Version 3.1.2. So how to I do get the SHSH for the FW version 4.2.1?

10. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Did you saved them, in Cydia or Tinyumbrella, when Apple was still sending them out? Right now, you can only get 4.3. If you are not sure, download and run Tinyumbrella. Click "Save my SHSH...". Afterward, whatever was saved is what you can restore to.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Run TU again while you iphone is plugged in and click "save SHSH"
    It will then take a few minutes and it will list what shsh blobs it has available for you phone if it has any.
    Only those versions listed you will be able to restore your phone to.