Unusual SMS Problem! NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wickerman1893, Sep 2, 2011.

1. wickerman1893, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Hello guys, I need some help here. I am usually pretty good with figuring stuff out but I can't with this one.

For a long time my phone has been giving me the text overload notice but I haven't been paying attention to it. I have never deleted A TEXT from me and my girlfriend of over a year and now I can not receive messages. When I tried to delete the entire convo to free room, the texting app freezes, crashes, then cannot be opened unless I restart my phone. So that leads me to believe I need an alternative way to delete my texts, possibly from my mac?

Do you guys know any way I can erase all message history some other way? Any help would be appreciated!

2. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Maybe try restoring to a previous backup that doesn't have as many text saved in it and then deleting the conversation. That way you don't lose all of your settings and what not. The only other thing I can think of is restoring it to a new phone. Maybe someone else knows a better method though.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's pretty strange. The limit is 75,000 texts. Do you think you really have that many?

I'm not sure what the solution is. I don't think there is a way to do it from the Mac, unless there is a way to open the backup files and sort through it.

4. wickerman1893 thread starter macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Yeah around there. I have never deleted that conversation so it should be pretty loaded. I'm leaning towards just restoring to factory settings. Idk if that will help though

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Restoring factory settngs isn't likely to do it as your texts aren't from the factory. Try what AreYouIn? said, restore to an earlier time and then try deleting.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I just became aware of this cool app, PhoneView. You may be able to use this app to get all your stuff off the phone, save it to your Mac and then clear your phone.