Unusual Startup Sound

TXbug

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Austin, Texas
Normally I get a sound similar to a chord when my Macbook Pro starts up. However, I get a sound like "do dit" before the normal startup sound. After some experimentation, I found that if I have a disk, CD or DVD, in the DVD drive, there is no "do dit" sound, only the normal startup sound. If the DVD drive is empty, I get both sounds.

A searched of this forum and by Google yielded nothing.

What is going on? How do I correct this annoying problem?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I have no idea what the "do dit" sound is, as "do dit" tells me nothing of what the sound sounds like. Does it sound like it is coming from the speakers, or does it sound like it is mechanical? There's a large chance that it's simply your optical drive checking for the presence of a disc, and this operation happens before the startup chime.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
If you do a search of the forums, you'll find many people wondering about this.

It's perfectly normal - as you noticed, it's the disc drive. When the computer starts up, it briefly checks if there's a disc inserted, which is why the noise is present only when there's no disc (it's the parts of the disc drive moving to make sure there's no disc).

TXbug

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Austin, Texas
It is a electronic sound coming through the speakers. It is NOT a mechanical sound from the DVD drive.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Can you record it somehow? I'm 99% sure that Ivan and I are right, that it's your optical drive checking for the presence of a disc. This is confirmed by the fact that it only happens when there is no disc in the drive. I don't know what else it could be.

chillfrilla

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
It is a electronic sound coming through the speakers. It is NOT a mechanical sound from the DVD drive.
ur macbook is fine . get that OCD checked so u dont have to worry about little things that are acually normal

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
That sounds exactly like my optical drive. Don't forget the drive is right under the speakers, leading you to believe that the speaker is making that noise...Completely normal.

TXbug

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Austin, Texas
I have three other Mac's, including a Macbook Pro, and members of my family have two Macbook Pro's. None makes this electronic sound when the DVD drive is empty.

This is not normal.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
I have three other Mac's, including a Macbook Pro, and members of my family have two Macbook Pro's. None makes this electronic sound when the DVD drive is empty.

This is not normal.
in that case, we need a recording, because most of us have no idea what kind of sound you're referring to.

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
my new mbp makes this noise. my previous mb (late 2008) USED to make this noise, until one of the 10.6 updates.

not sure why that is, but it's perfectly normal with SOME macs...
put your ear near the optical drive. try it AGAIN with a cd inserted.
CALL apple if it's still troubling you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.