Unusual website specific failures? :/

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macAttack!, Mar 3, 2010.

1. macAttack! macrumors member

Aug 21, 2007
    Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I am having an unusual issue that does not allow me to connect to certain websites on my Macbook Unibody.

For example: when logging onto rei.com or cracked.com I get the "oops! this link appears to be broken" in Google Chrome. In Safari and Firefox I get the equivalent messages.

I cross referenced this information (I figured there was no way that these websites could be down) with the following webpage: http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

and found both sites were working, despite my denied access.

I have no firewall running.

Any ideas here? This is, obviously, an annoying issue.

Attached Files:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

Aug 16, 2005
    Two quick ideas:
    1. Clear browser cache
    2. Restart home network router
  3. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

Aug 21, 2007
    I tried both of those quick solutions but neither solved the problem, unfortunately.

Any other ideas?
  4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Oct 22, 2007
    An Island in the Salish Sea
    Are you in a dorm or another location where your connection to the internet is managed by someone who may have blocked some sites?

Perhaps the DNS service your ISP is using has a fault. You can use the Google DNS service to check that out.
  5. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

Aug 21, 2007
    I live in a house with administrative access to my wireless connection. I don't know how to check DNS/ISP issues...

Also: my roommates are able to access the websites I cannot on our internet (which is WEP encrypted), so it seems like a computer specific problem...

Any ideas/further help?