Unusual WiFi problems with Mac and iPad

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sine-nomine, Nov 24, 2013.

1. sine-nomine macrumors regular

So this afternoon, my MacBook lost the signal from my router and then refused to connect. The router takes longer to appear in the drop down list of close networks, and attempting to connect to it causes a dialog box asking if I want to run network diagnostics to appear. I removed the network and attempted to re-add it with no luck. Now when I select the network, a diablo asking for the password pops up after a few moments, even though I have already entered the password. When I type it in, it tries for a little while, then tells me either that the password is invalid (it isn't), or that the connection timed out.

During this process, my iPad suddenly refused to connect, saying that the network couldn't be found. The network doesn't even show up in the list of nearby networks. Attempting to add it as "other network" fails - it tells me only that it couldn't be found.

Restarting the router did not help. The router's configuration page was by all appearances still the same, too. I use WPA2 Personal and do not have the SSID hidden.

I have attempted rebooting both the MacBook and the iPad to no avail. I have tinkered with all network settings I could think to try on both devices. My Android phone, my girlfriends HP notebook and her iPhone 5s are all able to connect without any issues.

My MacBook is a late 2008 Unibody running Mavericks, iPad is an iPad 4 running iOS 7.

Any advice?

2. satcomer, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you router is more than 2 years old (and was a cheaper router) get a new one. These cheaper router seem to go wonky after 2-3 years use. If you have any device that can do wireless N then get a dual band wireless router. Plus N speeds are only achieved when use the upper (hundreds) channels.

3. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

Router is the gateway provided by Comcast about 6 months ago. No other devices seem to be having any kind of connection issues whatsoever, jut my laptop and iPad. I feel like this is Mavericks related, especially since the iPad can no longer connect after I tried the usual steps of removing and re-adding the network (which will remove the password from my iCloud keychain). The problem is I just don't know how to fix it now that it's broken.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

So you trust that router? HA HA HA! I bet it doesn't even have wireless N.

What other devices? Please list them!

5. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

An iPhone 5s, and iPod Touch 4th gen, HTC Incredible 2, HP laptop, a Nook Simple Touch (rooted), and a Nook HD+ tablet all connect fine and have done so even after the problems with my MacBook and iPad 4. Interestingly the MacBook also fails to even attempt to connect to other networks in my neighborhood.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

7. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

That was one of the first things I tried, actually. No luck.

8. najicta macrumors member

I'd like to bump this...

I am also having wifi issues, (not as serious... just turning wifi off and back on on my mba does the trick) but it has only begun since i installed mavericks, and it only happens on my MBA. All other wifi enabled devices have no connectivity problems... these include 2 iphone 4's, an iphone 5, a 2012 macbook pro, a 2006 macbook, and a PS3... Network diagnostics claims it is the router not being able to find something, but if that was the case you'd think other devices would also disconnect...