Unusually high battery capacity after 300 cycles?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Beric, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

After about 300 cycles and almost a year, I have more battery capacity than I started with when I bought my Macbook!

I just calibrated my battery last night. I have used my computer almost completely from AC adaptor, only occasionally (like right now) using battery power. I extremely rarely discharge my battery completely.

Is something wrong? Do I need to call Apple? I really don't believe I actually have only gained battery capacity after 10 months and fairly heavy use.

EDIT: Also, my real-life battery life seems to be more like 2-3 hours if only using only Safari (absolutely nothing else), and yet my fans really crank up and my Macbook really gets hot.

Attached Files:

2. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

why are you complaining again?

3. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

I don't believe I actually have that battery capacity, and think there is something wrong. I was wondering if there was something I could do to verify my true capacity or something.

4. mwdmeyer macrumors member

Well here is mine after 461 cycles.

Attached Files:

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Coconut battery isn't very accurate sometimes. Try updating it. For a more accurate estimate, go to about this Mac, more info, click on power, and you'll see the battery's actual health.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Did you follow the exact procedure to calibrate your Macbook?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9036.html

Did you wait the five hours after the system enter sleep due to low battery?

7. SailorTom macrumors regular

If you always use it off AC, and rarely use the battery, how can you of gone through 300 cycles?

8. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

Yes, I followed the instructions to the letter. I actually waited all night, or 8 hours.

I may just have to try calibrating it again. My battery life is unusually low for just having Safari open.

I think I've gone through partial cycles? I'll use it not charged in at times, and then plug it in a little later. But anytime I'm doing something intensive, like playing games, I plug it in, because otherwise, I get only 1.5 hours of battery life or so.