Unusually high battery cycle count?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KieranDotW, Aug 9, 2017.

1. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Hi, I've been using my mid-2012 13" cMBP as my only computer since the day it was released, and in those 5+ years it's amassed a battery cycle count of 1257.

Now, I usually only get 3-4h on a full charge (1-2h if doing anything more than light web browsing/word processing), but the battery health still says "Normal". Furthermore, apps like coconutbattery say the battery is still at 86% of it's original capacity.

Is this a miracle, or do I have some kind of ticking time bomb on my hands? I understand Apple says its batteries are only good for up to 1000 cycles, and I can't justify buying a replacement battery at this stage in the machine's lifetime.

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If you are worried then open up the computer and check whether the battery has expand. If it is then it is a ticking bomb. If not then use it as normal.

3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Apple doesn't state that the batteries are only good for 1000 cycles. They say that at 1000 cycles, it should have at least 80% capacity, which yours does. And I believe it's holding a charge not far off what it was new.

There is a huge variation in batteries and their lifespans, how people charge them, environment etc. So 'time bomb' is the wrong way to think about it, it's just past its best. Keep an eye on it as it will likely deteriorate at an accelerated rate from now on, but it's not going to suddenly explode or anything.