Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Nowhere in the body of the article was there any mention to Apple or the iPod. Is 'iPod' just synonymous with 'mp3 player' now.

Boy, I can't wait to hear some sales rep saying, "We've got the Rio iPod and the Creative iPod, and they're both cheaper and hold more songs than the Apple iPod." :rolleyes:

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
It's in the title of the article and also the second paragraph ' the missing link required to carry the iPod generation on its next great leap forward'

- Dal

stoid

macrumors 601
Dalriada said:
It's in the title of the article and also the second paragraph ' the missing link required to carry the iPod generation on its next great leap forward'

- Dal

Ah yes, I suppose that counts. :eek:

However, even that doesn't seem like a reference to the iPod as a device, but rather to the 'iPod generation', the demographic that uses portable mp3 players

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
We were at the front of the queue for the Core Duo's so lets hope our old faithful iPods get the first crack with this new chip.

- Dal

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
stoid said:
Nowhere in the body of the article was there any mention to Apple or the iPod. Is 'iPod' just synonymous with 'mp3 player' now.

Boy, I can't wait to hear some sales rep saying, "We've got the Rio iPod and the Creative iPod, and they're both cheaper and hold more songs than the Apple iPod." :rolleyes:

Oh I know, it sickens me when I hear that stuff. My girlfriend and her sister got some Phillips mp3 players for Christmas, not bad ones, either, but not iPods. I hear their dad referring to them as iPods ALL THE TIME, though, and I want to slug him.

Of course, he is my girlfriend's dad, and he has lots of guns. And looks like Revolver Oceleot.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Dalriada said:
It should also be pointed out that Wolfson chips have been present (http://ipodlinux.org/Generations ) in every single iPod with a screen (i.e. not the shuffle). so it is extremely likely that such a chip would be incorporated in future iPods. Just like if PortalPlayer announces a new chip, you can bet that Apple might be ready to use it.

B

ToastMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2005
Tacoma, WA
It says that it's specifically for use in mp3 players tho, I guess. Would this mean only more battery life for music playback (not video or photos)? That's the impression i got.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
DrNeroCF said:
Um, that story describes a codec, not a chip, citing M$ and Real as competitors...
It is a chip. It's not a "codec" in the MP3 sense, but a set of a2d/d2a converters and signal processing logic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.