Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Turned on my MBP this morning and there was a floating ad about where the "Search" would show up on my home screen!! It was an elongated dark colored oval about an inch high about a sale price for Disk Doctor with an option to "Click here". I did to see where it went ... straight to the App Store listing for Disk Doctor.

What's going on here??? :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Turned on my MBP this morning and there was a floating ad about where the "Search" would show up on my home screen!! It was an elongated dark colored oval about an inch high about a sale price for Disk Doctor with an option to "Click here". I did to see where it went ... straight to the App Store listing for Disk Doctor.

What's going on here??? :(
Check to see what you have installed recently. Make sure you're running an ad-blocker in your browser. If you don't find anything, do this:
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the whole Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
If some sort of malware is showing you Disk Doctor ads on your behalf, developers of Disk Doctor deserve a ban from the App store. You should email Apple about the situation.

Are you sure however that you don't simply have a Disk Doctor trial running, or another app by the same developers running in background?

Last edited:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
If some sort of malware is showing you Disk Doctor ads on your behalf, developers of Disk Doctor deserve a ban from the App store. You should email Apple about the situation.

Are you sure however that you don't simply have a Disk Doctor trial running, or another app by the same developers running in background?

Apple should definitely ban any app and developer that does things like this.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast

No, Disk Doctor isn't running... at all. I recently did a restore and re-downloaded it (along with my other apps), but have NOT opened it since then. It shows "installed" on the App Store Disk Doctor page. If it is a paid app (can't tell when the "installed" shows), I would have purchased it. I normally buy apps as I don't like dealing with in-app ads.

I'll post if it turns up again.

EDIT: Restarted my MBP and no ad. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.